Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experimenting with making my own hard bead spoons. I'm using willow blades and some I've cut out of copper. Hooks solder on easily enough but how do I attach the bead?? Any do-it-youselfers please help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just heat the hook a little and then slide the bead on but I solider mine I'm not sure if that would effect epoxy

Posted from Michigan-sportsman.com App for Android

·
collector
4,440 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hard beads DO work...but I wouldn't bother with it...just have a jar of rubber anise balls...comes in a variety of colors...I prefer the rubber over hard beads....I now REMOVE the hard bead from my favorite store bought 1" willow jigs....the scent I believe attracts them better...and they rarely fall of the hook,,,,( unless you prefer barbless hooks).... I started rubber 15 years ago...and never looked back....Good Luck...water clarity will improve soon !!!:fish:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
i use a fly tying vise to hold the hookwith bead then use the helping hands with an alligator clip to hold the spoon then you have one hand to hold the solder and the other with the soldering iron i myself use a 40 watt soldering iron! i will post pics of my set up! here is my set up I use works very well! at least it has the last 25 years!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Soldering wasn't a problem, used a little plumbers flux first. Thought I could heat the hook and push it threw but that didn't work. I'll cut off the eye and slide it on prior to soldering. Where can I get those rubber anise balls??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts