Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

161 - 180 of 632 Posts

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I take it that you don’t live up north. Lots of retirees are aging out of hunting and life for that matter. Not many move to the SLP to retire.
Didja see Frawley’s animated graph showing the trend? Pretty cool....showing the flattening of the curve across all ages.

You are correct about hunters aging out....and could be correct about the northern impact. Might be a ton of land coming up for sale in Northern Mi.

·
Registered
18,281 Posts
No you didn't miss it. It's a distinction without a difference.
5% more prickers matters to the mule that run itself up a pricker bush , and is setting there all hunched up blaming the bush and anyone he can besides himself.

The state is the pricker bush.
How the mule got where it is has something to do with how the mule approached.:banghead3

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
5% more prickers matters to the mule that run itself up a pricker bush , and is setting there all hunched up blaming the bush and anyone he can besides himself.

The state is the pricker bush.
How the mule got where it is has something to do with how the mule approached.:banghead3
Who's the "mule"?

(rhetorical, please don't answer...)

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
You can be assured that the UP would not mind being without the land of the trolls.
Back in the 70s there was a SUPERIOR movement. Make a new state Superior to inc UP and top dozen or so counties of LP.

I attended a meeting about it and wow how narrow minded some are.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is no 66% threshold to be met.
Right... When the result doesn't achieve the purpose, change the purpose to ignore the result.

Let's conduct an experiment to measure the effect on CWD. Can't measure the effect on CWD? No worries, study moves forward excluding any measurement of effect on CWD.

Experiment contingent on survey of hunter support (66%). Results below 66%. No worries, we'll just call it a survey for a baseline of hunter support.

Ongoing collusion... (Russia not implicated)

·
Registered
26,525 Posts
Right... When the result doesn't achieve the purpose, change the purpose to ignore the result.

Let's conduct an experiment to measure the effect on CWD. Can't measure the effect on CWD? No worries, study moves forward excluding any measurement of effect on CWD.

Experiment contingent on survey of hunter support (66%). Results below 66%. No worries, we'll just call it a survey for a baseline of hunter support.

Ongoing collusion... (Russia not implicated)
Or as I have heard........a solution that's waiting for a problem

Reactions: Justsayin

·
Registered
35,284 Posts
Back in the 70s there was a SUPERIOR movement. Make a new state Superior to inc UP and top dozen or so counties of LP.

I attended a meeting about it and wow how narrow minded some are.
You forgot to mention this movement included ~a half dozen Wisconsin counties. It is nothing new, there has been a push for this since about 20 years after Michigan’s statehood.

Reactions: jr28schalm

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Honestly, where the whole APR dialogue needs to head is toward some settled middle ground where both sides are either happy or both sides are unhappy.

...at least we will know that middle ground has been reached.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Honestly, where the whole APR dialogue needs to head is toward some settled middle ground where both sides are either happy or both sides are unhappy.

...at least we will know that middle ground has been reached.
I am going to raise my kids about 4 or better and you brown it's down. So we will never see that..lol

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I am going to raise my kids about 4 or better and you brown it's down. So we will never see that..lol
No, I kind of like the idea of getting 2 tags an area that needs herd reduction to start with.

One is an antlerless tag, the other one is restricted.

If you fill your antlerless tag, you get a second buck tag that is unrestricted.

Earn-a-buck with a twist.

The pro-APR crowd could be upset because hunters still get to shoot a buck with an unrestricted tag.

The anti-APR crowd could be upset because they are restricted to what buck they have to shoot until they fill an antlerless tag.

(I would also add that I would remove restrictions on both tags in a CWD zone, but also add it back if an area can go 3 years without a CWD positive...incentive)

The NRC meetings would be much shorter, and probably only half as entertaining.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I am going to raise my kids about 4 or better...
Can't you envision a scenario in which you are out with your daughter and she is all amped up about the hunt and the first deer in is a sub-APR buck and she wants to kill it? You really think you'll have the discipline in that moment to say no? Ok, maybe you do. I certainly can't speak for you. But, for what purpose? 8 point or spike, it might still be a yearling. How do you defend the position? What basis?

161 - 180 of 632 Posts