Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we had several good examples of leader lines to use and I think I will be giving the maxima a try. But what about main lines, I would like to hear what everyone else is using. My self I have always used 10 XL and just veried the leader material.Last year I tried Fire Line and really liked its sensitivity and strength but tying a knot and trimming it was a pain. Lets hear it all, also I'm looking for a new spinning reel for my Swan rod. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Even though it is more expensive this way, I usually use 8# maxima ultragreen. DOn't know why exactly, just one of those habits we all get into. I know others that use 10# Trilene XL or some other brand, but most likely its a matter of choice and confidence. As for a reel, there are so many its hard to choose. I like my Daiwa with the self centering bail. The reason for the self centerin bail is because I like to hang the line over the end of my finger, in that way I can detect the slightest pickup, and don't miss as many fish. Just find a reel that has a smooth drag, unless you like to use the anti-reverse off position. To balance right it should be light enough that when installed on the rod you can balance the whole setup on your finger just above the reel.. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
760 Posts
11.5 foot St Croix rod, Shimano stradic reel, 4# main line-3# leader...and let the fun begin!!!!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
10 pound is the heaviest I go for any river fish(including chins) for steelies I go 6lb max ultragreen mainline and 4lb ultragreen leader. There is no need to go any heavier! i ever use this rig configuration in heavy cover.
As far as the fireline is concerned, I don't have any experience with it but I'm pretty sure that I won't be switching my brand name of line anytime soon.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use 8# "clear blue" with leader either 6 or 4# Maxima. This is the set up I have used for years. I can see the mainline really well, and that is important to me. I use a Penn reel 4300??. It is a little heavy, but has a great drag. I use either a 9' or 11' custom made drift rods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts