Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was just wonderin what opinions were on the use of magnum spoons compaired to standard size spoons.... do you think it also makes a difference if one, or the other, is run off dipsey's or riggers?? thanks

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
fasteight,

I usually run mags, but have done well on the standard size too. I don't think it makes a big difference on any given day, but others may have a different story.

ficious

·
Registered
162 Posts
I try to match the size of the alewife in the area to the size of the spoon.

Also remember mag spoons are not as speed tolerate as the regular size.

We are not muskie or bass fishing. Big baits do not necessarily mean big fish.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had close to equal success on both last year. Statistically, I probably caught more on mags, because I ran mags more often than not.

As big vic pointed out, generally matching the size of the alewives in the area should make the decision easier. I know that means big spoons out of South Haven, as the alewives are often bigger than mag spoons.

I also agree with big vic in that big baits do not always mean big fish. Not with salmon, trout, bass, musky, or any species.

My biggest salmon to date came on a magnum spoon but ive caught plenty of little ones on mags, too. Ive also caught plenty of big kings on flies that probably have a smaller profile than a mag spoon. And we caught a few big kings on normal sized spoons last year also.

My biggest musky to date came on a bucktail. My smallest musky came on an 8" jake.

Ive caught plenty of 4-5lb bass on 3-6" soft plastics. I caught a 10" bass on a 6" depthraider.

Experiment until you start to get confidence in something, then stick with what works! I know personally, most of the spoons I have been buying lately are mags.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I found to be successful you need to have an inventory of magnums, standards and minies I have fished rockport where you had to have spoons bigger than magnum streaks or you would not catch fish then the following year the only thing the fish would hit were minies.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Versatility: It can save the day, and it can cost the day!

I think having a good selection is a good idea, but if you have confidence in something, dont change it because it hasnt boated a fish in a little while. Dont be afraid to wash spoons if you have confidence in them.

Like awfulpotent said, have a decent selection just in case. Last year we had days when all they wanted were the mini stingers, and we had days theyd only bite the Northern King M80s.

Always be willing to try something different, and always be willing to stick with what isnt working if you have confidence that it will start working.

Have I confused things enough yet? :p

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Originally posted by jaid
Versatility: It can save the day, and it can cost the day!
Always be willing to try something different, and always be willing to stick with what isnt working if you have confidence that it will start working.
Sounds like me making an exectutive decision during a tournament that we are sucking butt in! ;) :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts