Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I posted a question on longevity and the common cause of death in Engish Pointers. I was shocked that the average life expecancy was only 12 years and that cancer was the most common cause of death. As most of you know, I've had Brittanys for many years and nine years ago took on the challenge of a Pointer. Maggie May Brown was as good as she was inspite of me, not because I did everything right.

The biggest challenges turned out to be medical. At three she came down with epilepsy and required 3 meds twice a day to control the seizures. There were a couple other life threatening issues along the way, but she never lost her happy spirit.

I have had dogs all of my 58 years, but she was by far the happiest dog I've ever known. If the door bell rang there was pandimonium while looking for a toy to carry along to the door incase whomever wanted to play. I never heard her growl aggressively at another dog, a cat, or human. She LOVED everybody. She also Loved the water, catching shovels full of snow, chasing her baseballs around the yard, her neice Megan and her human family.

She developed a cough and while I was away on business, my wife took her into the vet. The diagnosis was a tumor in her chest and fluid filling her chest causing pressure on her lungs. The vet gave her 3 to 6 weeks. This was the first week of May. The cough and wheezing slowly got worse. Yesterday Maggie turned 9 and she had a great day. Special breakfast, Frosty Paws for lunch, playing in the sprinkler, a special dinner and then to the Dairy Queen for ice cream. This morning my wife and I took her to Dr. Plyne and ended her suffering. I don't have the words to explain how badly I feel. Even after so many dogs, this one has torn my heart out.

So throw the ball for yours, give them a special treat, put some gravy on their food, and most of all return the love they selflessly give to us.

Maggie May Brown

FRANK

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
RIP Miss Maggie. There will an empty spot at Camp this year for sure. Uncle GreyDog and Izzy

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
No matter how many dogs we've had, its hard to lose them but to lose one thats special to our heart, makes it almost impossible to bear. My condolances to you and your family.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hard to read and even harder to experience. Hang in there and know most of us have been through this too. In time, you will look back and have only good memories......

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Condolences and God speed Maggie!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Sorry for your loss Bonz, Maggie was a beautiful girl. I believe there are dogs, then there are heart dogs. Some dogs just mesh with you, in a special way.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Very nice tribute. Condolences to you and your family. She was much loved and she brought you great joy.

Hunt' em up, Maggie Mae!

NB

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
A very tribute indeed, my condolences on your loss.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I read this last week- I will share if I may.

"It came to me that everytime I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog gifts me with a piece of their heart.

If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers everyone. People that know me well know my dogs are like my kids. All dogs are special, but some are extra special and Maggie was one of those. Some of the things she did on a regular basis that I've never seen another dog do are going to be especially hard to get over. FRANK

1 - 20 of 24 Posts