Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally took the time to rig my 14ft johnboat up for river pluggin' and decided to take it out on the muskegon below newaygo. Took a while to get the hang of things, but to make a long memorable story short. We fought 6 steel and got 3 in the boat, along with more hits. Gold was the hot color. Gold and orange, old style wiggle wart took several hits along with gold and black producers double downer. Nothing on any other colors. The water is up significantly, which was nice for motoring and surprizingly the water clarity was only about 2 feet. Every boat i saw had at least some fish.

PLUG FISHIN ROCKS!!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Nice work Adam, how far below Newago were you? Where did you launch?

Rick

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i launched at the boatlaunch off felch rd. i think it is called vics. from what i hear there are fish spread out everywhere in that river.

heres a pic of the "rig"

·
Registered
346 Posts
fish pics???

·
Registered
169 Posts
Adam you forgot that two of those fish I hooked on spawn!!! BTW the finger wont stop bleeding!(Got a giant plug hook in my pinky after boating the first fish)

Any how, that was a blast cant wait to get some more hits like that. Cya

Matt

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
It is definately a great way to catch steelies and fall salmon. It is not for the weak hearted!

Make sure you always use pliers to remove the hook, I have seen some nasty accidents happen by trying to unhook a mad steely without pliers.

Acouple of quick hints. Try keeping your plugs within 5 ft(distance back) from the next one over. This makes a little wall of plugs which angers the fish into striking more often.

Use a long anchor rope if you have one, try letting out little amounts of rope every 4-5 minutes, or even the continuous slow slide back. When you get back, you can do a slow"troll back upstream by reeling in the anchor slowly. This will produce fish. It helps to have a good pair of waterproof gloves too.

Lastly, try fixing the anchor lead off the side of the boat at different times, and switching sides. you will be amazed at the coverage you can have while anchored, without using the oars or motor.

I miss small boat plugging, I used to do it alot when I had a 16 ft boat, but now the big 21 ft barge, with 90 lb anchor and 3/16 inch steel cable on a winch...It just can't happen like it used to.

If you want to pm about the different anchor locations, I will devote some time explaining it to you! Just think...planer board!;)

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I see by your pic you did the e-z way out and backtrolled. C'mon, you can row that thing into the fish.;) :D

Actually, my next motor will have reverse to back troll plugs. Especially on the slow water areas.

You'll find that gold/orange and gold/black will probably take more fish than the other colors but don't over look some of the others. Pearl with some orange or pink on top is a good producer also.

Where's the pictures of the fish?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
As much as I can, I like changing over to single hooks on my plugs. Run a Siwash off the belly eye. Get better hookups, they are less able to spit the plug and definitely easier to unhook, especially if you are into releasing them as they do less damage to fish, and man, than the two sets of trebles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts