Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
girlfriend just booked us for the first weekend in october on the island for four days.:rant: can you hunt off the shore there? i dont think she is going to let me dock the boat at the island:SHOCKED: but she did say if i can hunt off the shore i can bring my gun.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm not quite positive but I don't think you could since its so close to the highway

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am actually on the island at the moment. There is NO hunting on the island so I'm assuming that would also be true for at least some distance off shore....??? I'm not up to date on my hunting regs for the Great Lakes.

You should see all the geese and mallards up here though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Hey pike i dont hunt the island exactly, but i hunt that area quite abit in the fall and never have had any problems. Couple spots Last season had border patrol cruise by a few times in thier suburbans near the bridge but agian no problems. I hunt alot of the shallow rock piles with my dog or layout hunt it. Just gotta be careful around bridge. Have seen some nasty rip currents that made me nervous for my chessie. I am planning to be up there for middle opener again. Its nice shooting reds and bills then off to the swamp for woodies and teals.

·
Registered
533 Posts
OK, I'll be the one to say it: It's time to dump her :yikes: :lol: She clearly has been watching too many episodes of "housewives of " ". If she's cute enough that you MUST keep her (still recommend against this at this point based on what I've read "booking ANYTHING first of October and "getting permission" to do anything").. she must replace Oprah and Housewives with Duck Dynasty and some old Dukes of Hazard reruns. If this doesn't work, Archie and Edith Bunker episodes may be in order. :rant: Once she buys you a Benelli, Winchester sx or other high-end gun... she's properly trained and can now hunt WITH you off Mackinaw Island this fall. :eek:ne_eye:

Of course I'm joking for those feminists reading this :D Man, I clearly need more sleep and this staying up til 1am building trailer stuff is getting old, or I'm too old for it-one of the two. :gaga:

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
I would think that as long as you are 500 feet from shore it would not be a problem. At Arch Rock you will be in about 70 fow on the west side of the island it will be over 100 fow. West of Mackinac Bridge is good hunting just do not plan to hunt it on any opener it is a madhouse

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
State Park...see there is a safety zone enforcement. Means no hunting on Mack Island!

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
I would think that as long as you are 500 feet from shore it would not be a problem. At Arch Rock you will be in about 70 fow on the west side of the island it will be over 100 fow. West of Mackinac Bridge is good hunting just do not plan to hunt it on any opener it is a madhouse
Its 450 from a building

Safety Zones Around Buildings

No person may hunt or discharge a firearm within 450 feet of an occupied building, dwelling, house, residence or cabin, or any barn or other building used in connection with a farm operation, without obtaining the written permission of the owner, renter or occupant of the property.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
And some of those islands are private.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Wouldn't the great lake rules apply? As long as ur 450 and below high water line?
I'm sure they would, but I think most people just motor over and hunt right off those islands to the west of the bridge. I just got the private thing 2nd hand from a guide who claimed to have one leased.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If we are talking about the islands you can see from the bridge..what we call seagull island and green island I am sure they aren't private..can't really step foot on them anyways bc they are so overrun with birds.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
If we are talking about the islands you can see from the bridge..what we call seagull island and green island I am sure they aren't private..can't really step foot on them anyways bc they are so overrun with birds.

He claimed to have Green Island leased.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think he was full of **** and just trying to get you away from his honeyhole..did you happen to get his name? I might have an idea who it is.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was checked by a c.o. while hunting green island last november and he asked me if I had written permission to hunt the island. I said no I didn't think it was privately owned. Well guess what he informed me that it is privatley owned. He let us go with just a warning after a thorough checking of our birds and all of our gear. Just a little insight before you go thinking a place is ok to hunt you never know. The best bet is to buy a current plat book and check. We got lucky that day, the c.o. was just doing his job and it was good to see the boys doing their job.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
State park=no no. I just about about got my ass thrown in jail up there with fire crackers several years ago. Very strict up there. I have spent many days on the island.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I happen to know the family that owns (or at least did about 30 years ago) one of the islands just west of the bridge. Can't remember which one right now (I'm an old fart...memory isn't as good as it was), but I recall it was within sight of the bridge. The kids (my age) had a plan to build a place on the island, but as far as I know they never did. I haven't talked to any of them in years and years. But the bottom line is yes, at least some of the islands there are privately owned.

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
I was checked by a c.o. while hunting green island last november and he asked me if I had written permission to hunt the island. I said no I didn't think it was privately owned. Well guess what he informed me that it is privatley owned. He let us go with just a warning after a thorough checking of our birds and all of our gear. Just a little insight before you go thinking a place is ok to hunt you never know. The best bet is to buy a current plat book and check. We got lucky that day, the c.o. was just doing his job and it was good to see the boys doing their job.
Why would that island by any different than any other shore in the great lakes?? If ur in the water n outside the safety zone ur legal. I think ur co didn't know what he's talking about

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Why would that island by any different than any other shore in the great lakes?? If ur in the water n outside the safety zone ur legal. I think ur co didn't know what he's talking about
Because most people do not hunt off the islands but on them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts