Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Maceday Lake in Oakland County on Saturday with the long rods and did okay. We got out on the lake early in the morning and hit a few flats to see if there was any topwater bite. Due to the cold front we were not expecting much but we still managed a few largemouth on poppers. As the day progressed we moved to weedy drop offs and managed to land a dozen or so largemouth with a few smallies thrown in the mix on streamers. Had a ton of fish following flies that would not commit including a few smallies close to 3 pounds. The only problem we had was getting down to the fish since we both forgot sink tips and only had full floating lines. Looking forward to a warm up to get one last chance at some decent bass fishing before the freeze. Fish were caught on foam poppers, deer hair bugs, seaducers and some Puglisi baitfish patterns.

Tight lines...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Maceday holds some good gills too... been a couple years since I've been on the water there... Gonna have to schedule that in somehow

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there is some good bluegill fishing to be found out there as well. I did not include it in the report but I ended up catching a few keeper crappie on a baby bass clouser on Saturday as well. I made a note of the spot on the map, and will probably head out there again in a few weeks to target them specifically. If the weather holds up the fall fishing can be great on these inland lakes, especially since most of the ski boats and jet skis are off of the water.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The last time I was there, I was getting buzzed by waterskiers at 6 a.m. It's nice to see a cool down in the forecast. There's some big crappies in there. I've found them suspended, 15-20 down in 30-60 fow. You can also get surface rainbows in alot of places there over deep water. You just have to be stealthy about it and use long rods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a consistent pattern for catching those stockers on the fly? I am sure that you could get into them when they are first planted but I do not know about now. Let me know as I would not mind giving it a shot here once the weather cools down a bit more. PM if you do not want it on the board.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nothing consistant. I've caught them on small white flies, size 14, representing mosquitoes, I guess. I usually troll. I just noticed that while trolling, alot of fish would roll or spook on the surface near the boat as I went along. I've taken the fly rod along to cast ahead as I go, and have gotten a few, but I rarely catch the lake on a calm day, and it's too difficult for me to steer and flyfish by myself. By late May, the waterskiers are out at 6 a.m., and that's the end of my season.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip maak, I will see what I can come up with out there. Hey Jellybread...that is funny! Good luck with those allergies!;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts