Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out walleye fishing with my brother yesterday morning.

In another thread I talked about that I want to try and eat sheepshead so we
ecided to go to lake Mac knowing walleye was going to be tough but a sheepshead should be easy.

Well to our surprise and after about a 20 minute clown show we ended up with this in the boat.

I have caught a few on the east side but I believe this to be my PB. No way to measure it. Set the 24” bump board on it twice and had room to spare.

It was bellying laughing fun trying to get that thing in the boat with a tiny net and lite line. The fact we were able to land it was a miracle.

Good news she was hooked perfect and after a short revive took right back off for someone to enjoy another day.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Nice job landing that monster! Guessing from the title of the thread alone, I guessed a monster sheepie, but a surprise musky would have been my second guess.

If you are really interested in eating a sheephead, you might consider trying one from lake MI and not mac. But you came to the right place for sheepies.

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts
Awesome job. Never thought of them in there but I know someone who use to catch them at PS. He brought pictures on time of some spawing in the creek at PS

·
Premium Member
11,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice job landing that monster! Guessing from the title of the thread alone, I guessed a monster sheepie, but a surprise musky would have been my second guess.

If you are really interested in eating a sheephead, you might consider trying one from lake MI and not mac. But you came to the right place for sheepies.
We did catch a 13lb on the scale sheep. Crazy.

Lake Mac is full of lake Michigan fish right now.

I did catch and eat an 18"er. After that experience I have no idea why we don't them. Its no walleye but handled well its good. I would say better then Channel Catfish or Bass. And easy to clean. It did take a bunch of trimming.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Carful verbal dispersions will be cast your way by the upper crust.lol,Nice fish! And sheephead are not bad to eat as most of the Great Lakes fish if properly cared for.I ve had many peeps ask what we did with them when we caught them,asking could we keep a few for them.We have tried them all at one time or another.Spoiled we primarily eat walleye,perch,and gills with a couple smallmouth dinners thrown in.Still trying to figure out what anyone would do with a Muskie other than release it,channel cats we ve given up on,largemouth bass yuck,silver bass were better than a largemouth,and even an ole carp aint bad smoked.As my pappy use to say Its All Good at One Time or Another!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Carful verbal dispersions will be cast your way by the upper crust.lol,Nice fish! And sheephead are not bad to eat as most of the Great Lakes fish if properly cared for.I ve had many peeps ask what we did with them when we caught them,asking could we keep a few for them.We have tried them all at one time or another.Spoiled we primarily eat walleye,perch,and gills with a couple smallmouth dinners thrown in.Still trying to figure out what anyone would do with a Muskie other than release it,channel cats we ve given up on,largemouth bass yuck,silver bass were better than a largemouth,and even an ole carp aint bad smoked.As my pappy use to say Its All Good at One Time or Another!
I'm happy that folks like to eat sheeps.
Some folks like Lake Trout, and Salmon to. I'm just not one of them. Not because I feel they are beneath me. God knows at one time or another I've eaten just a bout every kind of fish there is in MI. I just prefer to eat my favorites :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts