Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for maybe some opinions? I have a Cabelas/Pedersoli inline .54 cal. that I bought in 1993. I have never had much luck getting the thing to shoot good. This year being unemployed with a lot of time on my hands and having the luxury of being to shoot off my back deck,I have been obsessively experimenting with this gun. So over the last 2 weeks I finally started to get good results with Precision rifle "300gr dead centers" with 100gr loose 777 ffg. Last saturday I was getting good grouping @ 50,75,100 yards and took to the woods in confidence. On wednesday I figured I would shoot the bullet that had been in the gun for a few day's,I set up a target @ 65yrds and it shot perfect. I shot 4 more @ 65yrds and they were all good. I decided to move the target out to 100yrds and I am 8" low with all 4 of the next shots @ 100yrds. 2 clean barrel,2 dirty barrel. How could this thing be grouping perfect @ 100 on a saturday and 8" low 4 day's later??? No changes in the set up.:confused:. Now I feel I'm back to the drawing board with this one. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
That is a lot, was it grouping there? 8" low. Might be your scope got knocked off, loose or just bad. I would try tightening all screws on your scope, adjusting it again and see how it holds.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here's the part I don't understand. If i'm hitting good @ 65yrds, how in the world could the bullet drop 8" @ another 35yrds? Are these just flyers? I don't think so because 4 shots all hit about the same spot,8" inches low. Anyone wanna buy a cabelas/Pedersoli .54 cal??:lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've never experienced this but some of the folks on this site have said that mosture ladden powder can really effect your trajectory low pressure low fps out of the barrel?

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Try some 2f black powder. My 54 cal Remington 700 likes 303g sabots with 90g of 2f black powder. It also likes the TC Maxi bullets with 110g of 2f powder. If you are looking for some more components to try take a look at what I have for sale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts