Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out fishing this evening on Big Portage Lake casting a 1/2 oz. Spinner bait with a trailer hook. When it bit I thought that I had a small bass on. When I got it close to the boat I saw that it was a big bluegill or sunfish. I knew that it was big when I got it in. But didn't think about taking a picture of it before throwing it back in. However, before throwing it back I measured it to see how big it was, 10". Probably one of the biggest bluegill/sunfish that I have ever caught.

When I just got home, I decided to look on line to see what the M.A. requirements are for these type of fish. I saw that it was 9" for the sunfish. Then I noticed that it requires that you have a picture or a DNR officer to verify the fish. I was hoping to enter my first fish ever into the M.A. :( I could just cry.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Go catch him again. You caught him once you can do it again. If not him maybe his brother.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Don't let it bother you. I've caught numerous rockbass and one crappie that would have qualified. I never entered anything yet. You will catch another. Let me guess, the trailer hook was speared through the fishes head? I've caught some blue gills on a spinnerbaits trailer hook before. I watched them get mad as the bait went by and ram the bait with their head only to get hooked. Quite funny to watch I might add.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't snag it. It actually bit the trailer hook. I couldn't believe that it would actually bite something that big. First time for everything.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just curious . . .

Was it a Pumpkinseed or Redear sunfish?

10" Redear is a bit more common than a Pumpkinseed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my book in the boat to see what it was. And was a pumkinseed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wow!

A 10" pumpkinseed is a real trophy. Congrats!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts