Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever own a chaparral? When i went down to Cobo, I was so discouraged by the sticker shock that I got from the Lunds that I started looking around, and didnt even investigate further (Chapmans and Compass point had a section together, Wanted 30,000 for a 20' Fisherman, W 150HP.... the minimum I would ever think of putting on it). THat was even Bare boat, no NOTHIN else. I looked at some bow riders (that I could use for fishing as well), came across a 22' Chaparral bowrider with a 190 HP Inline 6 Mercruiser. With a tandem Trailer, boat and motor, it was 22,000, and the guy was VERY lenient the financing. Basically as long as u didnt go Bankrupt last year you qualify. Fortunatly I made it out of last year in decent shape and 22 for me is DEFINATLY do-able.
I looked the boat over and the thing seemed VERY sturdy (unlike most of the other ones I saw, which spelled cheap in capital letters), Cup holders were in the right spot, seats were very nicely planned out, COMFORTABLE AS HELL, and ALL carpet soft surfaces were snap in (wont ruin it fishing) all around looked like a damn nice boat. The dealer claimed that Chaparral has a high resale value (confirmed that in the NADA books). I was wondering if anyone had owned a chaparral before and could give me any advice on what to look for? or If this is a deal I shouldnt pass up? Feel free to point me in the right direction :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
The only Chaparral I have ever had my hands on was an early 80's 22 footer,,it was pretty much just a copy of a CC Scorpion,,but it was a fine boat..
dose Chaparrel make a Fish/Ski model? I know Glastron makes one but it's got that Glastron price.
Just thinking that way you could have the family boat and still have the fishing goods,,,you know bow mount trolling motor,live well,rod storage,fish finder,ect...

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Can't comment on the boat, but you really should shop around for financing. If the guy is financing to anyone and everyone, then his rates are probably high. I went through a credit union and the rate was something like a quarter percent lower than any bank I called. It'll save you $$ in the long run!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I own a 200LE, Charraral, 20 ft bowrider.

It is very smooth riding, and quick to plane. Maybe the best planing hull in the business. It's a well made boat.

Don't expect to get a lick of warranty consideration after your year is up though. I had the in dash cooler fall right to the floor after about 14 months of hard banging on the Great Lakes. I got no help from Chapparal or the dealer, so I fixed myself. I guess I shouldn't complain though, thats the only problem I've had.

BTW, I bought mine at McMachen Marine and would never buy another boat from them.

Okay, I read your post again, I would definitly take the boat for a test drive. 190hp on a 22ft may be under powered.

·
Registered
822 Posts
The Chaps are nice boats but I still like my Lund better. The engine you mention is under powered for a 22.
Shop around and see what you can get in the used Lund market. That's what I ended up doing and my boat, while used, is still perfoming nice. Any boat new in that range will cost $5k just to drive off the lot. Lunds included.

BTW the price goes up every day we get closer to Spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts