Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the Boat section, but not much traffic this time of year. I've read a few you talk about the Alaskan, so I'd thought I'd try it here too:

Looking for a product reveiw here. Does anyone have either one of these boats and if so, I've got a few questions.

First, I'm working on getting rid of my Champion Walleye Boat (Champ 194 Fishunter with 225 Opticrap, er Optimax). The boat is great, but the motor has been one big POS since I got it. If I had the money, I'd sue Mercury for even putting this junk on the market.

Anyway, with the price of gas being what it is and what it will probably forever be, I'm looking to downsize the package weight and motor. I'm also looking to go from glass to aluminum because I do use my boats (some bass boat guys say I abuse my boats ;) ) and the glass boats are just too "fragile" in terms of scratching them up.

My problem is I like to fish walleye on the Great Lakes such as Saginaw Bay, Lake Erie in the spring, Bay De Noc, etc...

I'm looking at a Lund Alaskan 2000 or the new Triton Frontier 21 with either a Honda or Yammaha 4-stroke 90, I'm leaning towards a tiller configuration for cost, weight, and room, but may go with a DC walkthrough.

I also want to be able to Duck Hunt from my new boat, thus the Alaskan or Frontier package versus a tricked out Tyee or Pro-V. I'm getting back to the basics here.

Would either of these boats be able to safely handle fishing in a 3-5 foot Erie Chop in the spring on the reefs (or something similar)? I realize they are a bit longer than my Champ, but they are narrower and have have a shorter transom, so that is where my concern comes from.

Thanks for the input, please feel free to email me if you want, also.

If anyone has one of these rigs (or the 18 foot version) within an hour or so of Lansing and wouldn't mind showing it off, I'd be more than grateful!!!!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've got the 1800 Alaskan with the 90hp Yamaha 4-Stroke on it. It is in storage right now so if you can wait until Spring, I'll take you fishing on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts