Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the Boat section, but not much traffic this time of year. I've read a few you talk about the Alaskan, so I'd thought I'd try it here too:

Looking for a product reveiw here. Does anyone have either one of these boats and if so, I've got a few questions.

First, I'm working on getting rid of my Champion Walleye Boat (Champ 194 Fishunter with 225 Opticrap, er Optimax). The boat is great, but the motor has been one big POS since I got it. If I had the money, I'd sue Mercury for even putting this junk on the market.

Anyway, with the price of gas being what it is and what it will probably forever be, I'm looking to downsize the package weight and motor. I'm also looking to go from glass to aluminum because I do use my boats (some bass boat guys say I abuse my boats ;) ) and the glass boats are just too "fragile" in terms of scratching them up.

My problem is I like to fish walleye on the Great Lakes such as Saginaw Bay, Lake Erie in the spring, Bay De Noc, etc...

I'm looking at a Lund Alaskan 2000 or the new Triton Frontier 21 with either a Honda or Yammaha 4-stroke 90, I'm leaning towards a tiller configuration for cost, weight, and room, but may go with a DC walkthrough.

I also want to be able to Duck Hunt from my new boat, thus the Alaskan or Frontier package versus a tricked out Tyee or Pro-V. I'm getting back to the basics here.

Would either of these boats be able to safely handle fishing in a 3-5 foot Erie Chop in the spring on the reefs (or something similar)? I realize they are a bit longer than my Champ, but they are narrower and have have a shorter transom, so that is where my concern comes from.

Thanks for the input, please feel free to email me if you want, also.

If anyone has one of these rigs (or the 18 foot version) within an hour or so of Lansing and wouldn't mind showing it off, I'd be more than grateful!!!!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I would think the Alaskan could handle the chop, but I bet you'll get pounded to heck in those waves. A 3-5 chop is NASTY, at least on Lake Mich. I' have no experience on Erie chop.

Brian

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
gregm-
Not sure you followed this other thread from a few weeks back http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118692
but if you dig through it, there was a ton of good input regarding Alaskans and other similar boats. In fact, myself and a couple others were the ones who took over that thread :evil: and spent a lot of time picking people's brains about the various models available. Not sure how much research you've done with dealers in the Lansing area, but I'm in the same area, and I've checked with several local Lund dealers, and some within an hour or two of here, and if you're interested, PM me and I can give you the info I've already gotten regarding price and availability. Heck, I may even see you at the boat show here this weekend :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 20' Lund Alaskan with the dual console and think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is set up w/ a 115hp 2 stroke with a 9.9 four stroke kicker. It's an awesome boat for both fishing and hunting out of on Lake Erie. I have a custom boat blind for it as well. Makes for a great tender boat as well for doing layout hunting. I've had 4 guys, all of our gear, 8 dozen decoys, and a MLB classic all on board while heading out to do some hunting

·
Registered
720 Posts
Luck13-
...nice rig
...any probles with setting decoyes with the dual console?
I'm sure it's much more versatile than a SS or Tiller.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's a bit much for one person to try and handle and put out dekes at the same time. Much easier w/ at least one other guy. We run long lines for diver's and need at least two guys for that with me at helm.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I know you guys are talking about the 20' Alaskan but the guys I layout shoot with have 18' Alaskan with a 60hp Merc 4-stroke tiller and we do end up in a 3 ft chop a lot of the time when we are picking up our spreads. I feel totally safe - it couldn't be any better. when we are going out or coming in we ussually have 4-5 guys and a lot of gear in the bow and the little 60 still gets that boat up and running very well. The moral of the story is two thumbs up for Lund Alaskans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts