Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience / feedback on this model boat. I am very close to a purchase of a new 2003 model. I've fished the big water out an old 18' Starcraft for the last several years and am ready for a new boat. Its a nice boat with a 3.0 merc I/O and a 15hp 4 stroke kicker and dual controls. It just seems like its a bit cramped compared to my old starcraft, tradeoff for the extra room in the bow. I dont much like to fish the heavy waves, (too much work) , but am curious to how the boat does out there in the big lakes. I know I'd prefer the 20' model, but budget restrictions and the fact that I want to keep towing weight and smaller lake use in mind limit me to the 18. Any comments appreciated....

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I do have a model year 2000 Lund 1800 Fisherman with a 4.3L 6 cylinder Mercruiser I/O. (Bought in October '99) The model year 2000 was 8" wider than the model year 1999 which can be alot of room in a 18.5 ft. boot... so that is why I waited for the 2000.

As far as the ride... it handles the rough water nicely for an aluminum boat. I have been out in 4 - 5 (with an occasional 6) footers and it handled just fine. Yeah... it was bumpy... but I never felt "threatened". Basically... if it is too rough to fish in this boat... it is uncomfortable to fish in the bigger 'glass boats.

There have been a number of members from this site that have accompanied me on the water from time to time and I think they would agree that it handles the rougher water just fine.

As far as room... it is comfortable with 3 total people while trolling... and I have trolled with 4 total. It was a bit crowded... but not overly so. The most I have had on the boat was 7.... but that was a perch outing... and I had the bimini top down. Most of time I will troll with the bimini top up which cuts down on the space somewhat.

I would highly recommend in going with the bigger 4.3L 6 cylinder if you can afford it. I can top out at about 40 mph (there are a couple times I am glad I had the bigger motor) with the 4.3L... yet I can troll down to 1.8-1.9... although there are times I will throw out 5 gallon buckets to get down even slower. (I will probably get bags this year). I do not as of yet have a kicker for it... although as you probably know... the extra throttle and all the cabling is there ready to hookup the kicker. (Someday when I can afford it... I will get a 8 - 10 horse kicker and hook it up).

If you have any questions... feel free to give me a holler!!

My rig......

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 1991 Lund Tyee 1850 with 3.0 lx Mercruiser in it. I think the motor matches pretty good with this boat. It will also troll down to 1.8 mph and run 38 mph loaded with 2 guys and fishing gear,although the seas have to be fairly calm to do this. It is economical to run in my opinion, and has handled the seas well on days I shouldn't have been out there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I'm going for it, don't think I can beat the deal on this rig. Only bad thing about buying a boat now is having to wait for the lakes to thaw! At least I'll have plenty of time to fit and rig it the way I want....:)

Perhaps we will meet up out of S. Haven this year Don, I fish mostly out of there or Saugatuck. Not sure if I'm going to put the PoleHolder handle on this boat, time to think on that as well.

C'mon spring!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Sounds good to me... if you have any questions about rigging... that is.... where... and where not to put things... feel free to give me a holler.... and I can give you my experience of owning the 1800 Fisherman over the past 4+ years.

Just remember to not get tempted and go out and troll alot right away... you want to break that new engine in correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts