Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Friday evening battled with the fog staying close to the pierheads. 0/1 one steelhead. 2 color moonshine green jeans. Saturday morning lights out fishing. With the storm on the horizon we decided to have lines in the water.at 4:45 am Motored up to the point and setup in 75-80 fow and stayed on that ridge up by the stick (big sable lighthouse) good water had come in with the prevalent SW winds. 63 on the surface 45 degrees 30 ft down. Marked lots of bait and fish in the 30-70 range. Riggers were hot we ran mainly moonshines that morning. Riggers down 30 and 40 moonshine dancing anchovy took two and lost a hog. Moonshine black ice. 4 color on green jeans took three. Rv bloody nose, mag blue jeans on slide divers back 90 each side was good. Ended up 8/9. With two guys in the boat with three doubles made for a full throttle kind of morning. Haven't had that much fun in a while. Pulled lines as we were wise watching the radar every 20 mins. We had the fish cleaned just as all hell broke loose. 5 fish came before 5:30 am.
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1437421302.534919.jpg

·
Registered
585 Posts
Way to go on the kings!! There is nothing like fighting and landing a rampaging king in total darkness. I hope to come up that way in a week or two to try my luck.

Frank

·
Registered
370 Posts
Fished Friday evening battled with the fog staying close to the pierheads. 0/1 one steelhead. 2 color moonshine green jeans. Saturday morning lights out fishing. With the storm on the horizon we decided to have lines in the water.at 4:45 am Motored up to the point and setup in 75-80 fow and stayed on that ridge up by the stick (big sable lighthouse) good water had come in with the prevalent SW winds. 63 on the surface 45 degrees 30 ft down. Marked lots of bait and fish in the 30-70 range. Riggers were hot we ran mainly moonshines that morning. Riggers down 30 and 40 moonshine dancing anchovy took two and lost a hog. Moonshine black ice. 4 color on green jeans took three. Rv bloody nose, mag blue jeans on slide divers back 90 each side was good. Ended up 8/9. With two guys in the boat with three doubles made for a full throttle kind of morning. Haven't had that much fun in a while. Pulled lines as we were wise watching the radar every 20 mins. We had the fish cleaned just as all hell broke loose. 5 fish came before 5:30 am. View attachment 185383
We fished sat and Sunday on the tournament. 110 boats Sat we were doing very well until storms cancel the tournament we had a 18 pound king in the box that could not be weighed would been top 5 2nd. Day. Also had best king bite in last 2 years
Sunday was good but fish scattered to deeper water more. 80 to 220 fow North was good . Cutbait bite was good both days.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too many times I've heard people being in the money running and getting gamed by Mother Nature. Either a call it or don't call it before people head out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Too many times I've heard people being in the money running and getting gamed by Mother Nature. Either a call it or don't call it before people head out.
I was very bummed out. However must get 4 hours in according to tournament rules. I think they though they could get the 4 hours.The storm was moving extremely fast I was even shocked. . Wave went to 7 foot in 30 minutes with lightning made a fun ride back. Some boats took shelter in Pentwater and Manistee.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My absolute best fishing in LM has been pre thunderstorms. 2012 (banner year) we were fishing off silver lake and got set up in the late afternoon (4:30 ish) and hit a few fish in the first few hours. Watched storm slowly work its way across and were all closely checking radar. It was 7 ish as we were getting ready to pull everything as we had until 8ish before the storm hit. I went to pull a 300 copper and it got hit as I was taking it in. Handed the rod off and went to grab the our long led core and that got hit. It then got super erie calm and within 5 minutes we had over 12 fish on at the same time. We landed 6 of the fish (broke off over $150 worth of equipment) and barely got into the pier heads bf all hell broke lose. I have several other experiences similar to this but not to that extent. It can be fun but equally dangerous as the fish tend to keep you longer than you want..

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
My best king fishing on lake Michigan was also when it was real choppy 3-5 footers coming from different directions because wind just shifted. Fish obviously doesn't know it is windy or rainy, I am thinking it is because they cannot see the boat or hear the motor in those conditions??? I heard many times that it is due to pressure dropping or rising.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My best king fishing on lake Michigan was also when it was real choppy 3-5 footers coming from different directions because wind just shifted. Fish obviously doesn't know it is windy or rainy, I am
My best king fishing on lake Michigan was also when it was real choppy 3-5 footers coming from different directions because wind just shifted. Fish obviously
My best king fishing on lake Michigan was also when it was real choppy 3-5 footers coming from different directions because wind just shifted. Fish obviously doesn't know it is windy or rainy, I am thinking it is because they cannot see the boat or hear the motor in those conditions??? I heard many times that it is due to pressure dropping or rising.
doesn't know it is windy or rainy, I am thinking it is because they cannot see the boat or hear the motor in those conditions??? I heard many times that it is due to pressure dropping or rising.
thinking it is because they cannot see the boat or hear the motor in those conditions??? I heard many times that it is due to pressure dropping or rising.
Forgot to mention my friend cut open one of the Kings stomachs and it had four full-size alewifes inside. Plus we marked a fair amount of bait on our graph. Good to see again.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
We fished sat and Sunday on the tournament. 110 boats Sat we were doing very well until storms cancel the tournament we had a 18 pound king in the box that could not be weighed would been top 5 2nd. Day. Also had best king bite in last 2 years
Sunday was good but fish scattered to deeper water more. 80 to 220 fow North was good . Cutbait bite was good both days.
Hey Scott - Good to see you are alive and well. Just happened to run across this thread on Ludington so I thought I would check in and see how the fishing is. Too bad about the Pro-Am being cancelled on Sat in less than 4 hours. I did check the standings on line and was aware that you did not put one on the money board this year as you usually do.

I believe this was the first Pro-Am we have missed in the past 12 years. We did have a couple of invites to join other pro teams but ... as you know things change. It has been tough being away from home for the entire summer all these years and although we do miss the fishing (and all of our downstate friends), it has been nice to get some projects completed at home. I even managed to get 3 1/2 acres of corn and a couple acres of beans planted for our deer this year.

Say Hi to Donna for us.

F & E

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey Scott - Good to see you are alive and well. Just happened to run across this thread on Ludington so I thought I would check in and see how the fishing is. Too bad about the Pro-Am being cancelled on Sat in less than 4 hours. I did check the standings on line and was aware that you did not put one on the money board this year as you usually do.

I believe this was the first Pro-Am we have missed in the past 12 years. We did have a couple of invites to join other pro teams but ... as you know things change. It has been tough being away from home for the entire summer all these years and although we do miss the fishing (and all of our downstate friends), it has been nice to get some projects completed at home. I even managed to get 3 1/2 acres of corn and a couple acres of beans planted for our deer this year.

Say Hi to Donna for us.

F & E
You guys were missed at the tournament. Not the same without you guys. Yes the cancellation on Saturday cost us a top 5 position probably. Very good bite this year compared to last year though. Scott and donna

1 - 13 of 13 Posts