Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Myself and a friend are currently on our way up from down state to try and hook up with some royalty. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for the next few days. Depth, area, bait, etc. we'll be using dipsey divers, and have plenty of Dreamweaver flashers, plugs, spoons, and flies. Have never tried trolling "meat" rigs. Is it worth a try? We made our first salmon attempt last year with some mild success; was a great time. Needless to say we were hooked! Trolling for walleye in Lake Erie can't quite cut it anymore! Anyways, any advice, tips, etc. would be more than appreciated. Please leave here or PM me if you have the time. And I'll likewise do the same after we get back from each outing. Tight Lines All!

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Meat works, try it.

I run it behind a dipsey with a 4' leader, purple spin doctor or pearl fish catcher, then the meat rig itself.

Let out 75-125 feet of line depending on water temp/depth.

Practice saying, "Fish on!", and get the landing net ready.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Worked 100-130' south of the pier yesterday from 9-1pm. Went 1/2, lots of marks in the 50' range. Watch the bouy as the water temps have been flipping quickly in the past 24 hr.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Meat works, try it.

I run it behind a dipsey with a 4' leader, purple spin doctor or pearl fish catcher, then the meat rig itself.

Let out 75-125 feet of line depending on water temp/depth.

Practice saying, "Fish on!", and get the landing net ready.
that is an expensive rig. check your line good. dipsy $20, meat rig $15, spin dr $10

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Also add in Fuel @ 2.99 a Gallon, Both Tow Vehicle, & Boat, Rod's, Reel's, Line, Cost of equipment, Down Riggers, Rod holder, Boat its self......

WAIT, I just realized I'm spending my Retirement NOW while fishing.............So much for my golden years........lol

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Find where mid 40's water temp is in the water column, look for all the other boats, and GO THE OTHER WAY.

:)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. Still at it. Had a bite on a meat rig about 30 minutes ago, about 115 feet in top 25 of water column. Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Our fish have come on meat 300 copper 3 times and riggers 3 times set at 65-75 150-180 not a hit on our divers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you guys attach the hook on the meat rig to the end of the herring strip or do you just let it trail? We've had a few bites but they aren't biting the hook.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Do you guys attach the hook on the meat rig to the end of the herring strip or do you just let it trail? We've had a few bites but they aren't biting the hook.[/Q

Hook your meat in the head using the pin or toothpick. Hold the meat head and pull the hook so it is just passed the tail of the meat strip. Secure the meat head the a peg it or half hitch a rubber band below the meat head

1 - 20 of 50 Posts