Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lady friend of mine wants to fish for some kings, i have a 18.5 foot open bow ready to go, just wondereing how far out i will need to go to find fish. so far she is not a fan of rough water. any help is appreciated going to try to go onw nite this week afterwork.'

old truck

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Well...pretty loaded question there.

For 1, depth and how far out don't really fall hand in hand out of Lud like they would say down south. There is a steep drop to the north where you can get deep pretty fast, while it drops really slow straight out.

Second, when are you thinking? Time of year, weather, water temps, etc all play a factor. You can catch kings in 10 foot of water or less some times of the year, or you may want to be in 500 foot+ other times.

But to generally answer your question, if play the weather and use your head, an 18 foot boat will be fine. I used to take a 14 foot boat up to the point and catch kings on nice days. Just be careful and watch the weather.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the distance game depending on weather could be 10 to 15 miles straight out or 10 plus miles to the north to big sable point ( were you most likely will end up ) there is a shelf thats north! most start at the bath house ( the changeing room) off of ludvill state park and work there way north there are boats that will work north almost all the way to mainstee depth here can drop very fast off that ledge or it can come up fairly quick at the point the other option is to run south out off the projects but to get in deep water your going to be out a long ways ludville has a saying if the winds are out of the south go north, if the wind is out of the north go south, when in dought go straight out. This is just a starting point you can always stop in at capt. chucks in town spend a few bucks at the local shop ( we all should ) and ask them for an up to date fishing info :fish: seems fish have been in the 60 to 200 ft range but guys are working deeper if they have too. im sure leadcore in 3,5 and 10 colors are probably takeing fish coppers to 300 ft im sure is working riggers to 50 to 100 ft ( big gap i know) wire or braided dip's 150 to 260 on 1 i have not been fishing but this is just a starting point read the reports and hit capt chucks is all i can add and good luck

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
the distance game depending on weather could be 10 to 15 miles straight out or 10 plus miles to the north to big sable point ( were you most likely will end up )
True, but if he doesn't want to run that far he can run north about 4 miles and a little more west to catch the beginning of the drop in the 59s or 00s and troll it the rest of the way north. You don't have to be right on the point to fish the bank, and the way it sounds he doesn't want to get a long ways from home while he is trying out the boat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts