Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
I miss the days where we could catch a two man limit just off the piers in May and send my buddy home with "more freezer meat than I have after butchering a deer"

We caught more kings on Labor Day afternoon 2011 than I do in a season now. Calling people with licenses telling them to bring a cooler and picking them up at the channel wall.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
If anybody is out today/tomorrow I could really use a thermocline depth. Heading up with the fam for camping and messing around through the weekend.
It changes daily, it will change tomorrow, ask when you are on the water, people will help. Or buy a Fish Hawk TD.. Or buy a regular Fish Hawk and become a better fisherman. I'll be there tomorrow night and will help , but it may not be the same where I plan on fishing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Are people headed out Thursday am? I have some friends coming and want to make sure forcast is doable. I'll be in a 28' boat. I just want to make sure it worth the two hr plus trip. I'll be out this weekend too, just don't want them to have a wasted trip tomorrow. I can report temp depths too.

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
All I have to say is that those who wished to "catch fewer fish, but bigger" are certainly getting their wish.
And those of us, particularly with kids who would rather be busy all trip and not pray for one mature king, are focusing on spring coho and June sheepshead.

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
It changes daily, it will change tomorrow, ask when you are on the water, people will help. Or buy a Fish Hawk TD.. Or buy a regular Fish Hawk and become a better fisherman. I'll be there tomorrow night and will help , but it may not be the same where I plan on fishing.

Nice to at least have an idea where it is to know what presentations to have ready.

I've fished a lot of beautiful expensive boats with $10k in gadgets on the helm and a captain that couldn't catch herpes from a crack whore.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Nice to at least have an idea where it is to know what presentations to have ready.

I've fished a lot of beautiful expensive boats with $10k in gadgets on the helm and a captain that couldn't catch herpes from a crack whore.
Wordsmth-ing "could not catch MonkeyPox from Pete"

OE

·
Registered
673 Posts
I remember the days when catching coolers full of coho in the 20’s day after day, then kings in that range and bigger a few years later. I’d rather have some fish to target, rather than hope for one large fish or the possible black and white kitty. Don’t know that I’ll ever get my grandkids interested in this fishery. I’m with FBD, we need fish for the kids and grandkids to get excited. That is key as they are the future.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'm not a salmon nut but have gone a few times. Capt I go with says it's more important than his fish finder. He probes early afternoon to find where he wants to fish later in the eve. He was looking for a 2° temp change @ the thermocline and when we found it we caught fish. It seemed pretty important that day.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
804 Posts
I’m not looking to be belligerent, but I don’t see how a FishHawk will make you a better fisherman. It will certainly make it easier to find temp. A better fisherman will put fish in the box without one, as they will find fish and the presentation the fish will bite.
Because it shows temp and speed at depth instead of estimating both. Even if "expert club pro fisherman" can figure it out after a bit he still has less time with lures dialed in than "noob joe blow" who has a fish hawk ceteris paribus.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I remember for a long stretch when anything over mid 20's was a big deal.
I also remember 120qt coolers overflowing with early August kings on the regular at Ludington. Who the hell cares if a fish weighs 18# if you are catching 9 of them in a three hour trip?

Depending on the wild fish to support a town like Ludington was flat out stupid.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts