Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished with Al S, Chuck A, and Rod B, in 30+ FOW on the Saginaw Bay. It started slow for us and we had some rough conditions. The wind died down a bit and we were able to start working our program more effectively. Glow Chartreuse was by far our best producer. We ran two down rods with 3 oz BB and 8 Offshore boards with 2 oz BB. When it calmed down we only need 8 fish and they came quickly. Usually I'd put 2 more boards in the spread but the 8 boards were manageable so we left well enough alone. 20 fish box on a fairly nice morning. Everyone onboard was capable and it made for a pleasurable trip for all. Most of the fish came right off the bottom with a few just up slightly. One down rod accounted for about 8 of our fish. Fish on those down rods are pennies from heaven.
The Bay is producing shallow fish and deep fish. I have friends doing well 10 FOW.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I fished with Al S, Chuck A, and Rod B, in 30+ FOW on the Saginaw Bay. It started slow for us and we had some rough conditions. The wind died down a bit and we were able to start working our program more effectively. Glow Chartreuse was by far our best producer. We ran two down rods with 3 oz BB and 8 Offshore boards with 2 oz BB. When it calmed down we only need 8 fish and they came quickly. Usually I'd put 2 more boards in the spread but the 8 boards were manageable so we left well enough alone. 20 fish box on a fairly nice morning. Everyone onboard was capable and it made for a pleasurable trip for all. Most of the fish came right off the bottom with a few just up slightly. One down rod accounted for about 8 of our fish. Fish on those down rods are pennies from heaven.
The Bay is producing shallow fish and deep fish. I have friends doing well 10 FOW.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sorry not used to new format! Nice work Frank! I will be out tomorrow. Got our 10 tonight north of your area. Hope to find some dumb ones in the a.m.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do u set up your spread w eight boards and not have a giant mess???

I have a heck of a time w 4
We usually run 10 boards but it was a little rough to start so I scaled it back. Bird trees help tremendously.

Reactions: buck11pt24

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
How do u set up your spread w eight boards and not have a giant mess??? I have a heck of a time w 4
Keeping the right distance between the boards, which is a lot less than most think. Setting each rod correctly. And it makes a big difference on how you bring your boards in with a fish on. There is a couple of ways. You can also set your boards so the front clip can be released which drives the board right behind the boat with or without a fish. You don't have to have rod trees, but it makes it a bit easier. I have holder extensions for my front holders when I'm going to run more than 3 boards/side. There is another method, but it really has to be shown. And takes more jumbling of rods when a fish is on. Not as easy to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts