Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With being one of the highest density musky lakes in the country, why is it that you do not hear of more of them caught through the ice? Besides the fact that they are not often targeted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know the Walleye Shark has caught at least one though the ice jigging for perch. It was small from what I heard, I have heard of other guys catching them when jigging for perch also. I would imagine that not many guys catch bigger ones because most guys don't bait a tip up or jig for them with a jumbo perch for bait.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
A guy I know posts videos and pictures all the time of musky and pike he catches on tip ups. He's been doing very good as of late and fishes far, far away from the crowds.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
There was a 49" one caught recently and pics of a good 40 incher and a 50 incher on here from last Sunday, guy was pike spearing said one of them almost took his decoy it hit it so hard. People see them quite often, if they are hooked most get off or snap the line as most people on LSC are fishing for perch or gills and equipment is not match for a musky. Not that many people fish with tipups on the lake, now and then in canals and marinas.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I saw one under my hole this past week. I read that pike have a dark appearance and musky have a light appearance while looking down from the hole. I know they're out there...

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
An old timer musky guy from northern wisconson told me once that he catches a lot of incidental musky fishing for pike in the first ice season. After December though he claims that they dont hunt very much due to light penetration through the thicker ice. This sounded quite strange to me since musky are a good seeing fish that feed at night often, but he has forget more about musky fishing that I will ever know so I tend to take his word for it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I saw more musky than pike while spearing last year. They're definitely out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
With being one of the highest density musky lakes in the country, why is it that you do not hear of more of them caught through the ice? Besides the fact that they are not often targeted.

Season closes for them December 15th out there, so technically it's illegal to fish for them, even catch and release.

·
Registered
134 Posts
when u are running tip-ups for pike, we catch the odd few muskies. cant make them stop biting, if they are hungry they gonna eat.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Well I'll toss in my .02's worth.....from everything I have read Musky pretty much shut down in winter.....they just do not actively feed after the water hits a certain temp.....kinda weird & interesting but that's what they do....like a bear in hibernation.....they go on a "fall binge" and fatten up then shut down and the rest is mother natures mystery ?.....

They will still feed but very uncommon.....I'm sure some biologist have a handle on this topic, just seems this sight is void of them....:confused:.....cheers.....

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Firefighter
I wonder if it hit out of meanness or hunger.
Sorta of like a spawning salmon ?
My live decoy froze and the muskies floated by.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts