Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a few hours during the afternoon into the evening. Afternoon was slow but right around dusk things picked up big time. Lost a one eyed 7lb'er at the boat due to pure stupid. After licking my wounds I nailed a 6lb beauty that was the biggest of the season. All fish came in deep water 17-18 FOW on dropshots with wacky rigged senkos or just wacky rigged senkos. Picked up a few fish on drop shotted rage craws as well. Goby brown was the color they liked the best. I have a feeling they are gearing up to be in fall feeding mode.

·
Administrator
27,091 Posts
You won't because that isn't a 6 pound smallmouth. It's just a 6 lb smallmouth that someone decided he wanted to be without weighing it and just figured it was. That's a 4.5 lb fish.
I was gonna say high 3's or low 4 (by going on the picture and not knowing the length). Thats why I will always weigh mine. Much more accurate than guessing. Good fish tho. Probably a decent fight.

·
Super Moderator
37,764 Posts
Nice fish, but I agree, that fish would be lucky to be 4 1/2#. More likely closer to the south side of 4. Nice clean healthy bugger tho. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I agree, no more then 4½lbs. A 6 pounder is a toad. I didn't have a scale when I caught this guy and I guessed him at a good 6. Could of been a 5 but it went back to make more monsters instead of going home and on the wall. I know of someone that claimed to catch a 7lber this year and after seeing the picture I laughed so hard, it was not an ounce over 3½ or 4lbs. Anyways congrats on a good day on LSC, days are coming to an end fast to enjoy out there.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree, no more then 4½lbs. A 6 pounder is a toad. I didn't have a scale when I caught this guy and I guessed him at a good 6. Could of been a 5 but it went back to make more monsters instead of going home and on the wall. I know of someone that claimed to catch a 7lber this year and after seeing the picture I laughed so hard, it was not an ounce over 3½ or 4lbs. Anyways congrats on a good day on LSC, days are coming to an end fast to enjoy out there.
I'm guessing this one to be 17". Did you measure it before letting it go?

·
Administrator
27,091 Posts
What would be your estimate of weight if you knew it was 18"?
Thats what it looks to me about 18-19". Mid to high 3 maybe low 4's. at the very best. 20" might just approach 4 1/2 to 5 at the top end. 22" mighty close to 6. During the pre spawn (with eggs) these would obviously be a lb or so bigger. Generally when I'm out bass fishing I will guess their weight within a few oz. I don't normally measure length.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm guessing this one to be 17". Did you measure it before letting it go?
I did measure and it was 24½" or 25½ I don't remember, I know an inch difference is significant but I can't remember lol. I remember looking up state record which is 27¾" and it was like 2 " shorter. But I don't want to throw out a lie so I'm playing it safe. For what it's worth my father in law was there and has been bass fishing a lot longer then I and he said it was probably the biggest smallmouth he's seen caught on his boat.
When it first flashed the surface I thought it was a sheep head and tried to shake off till my in law seen it lol

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The bass in question looks to be 20" (give or take an inch) which would put it in the 4.5 to 5 lb range.

Here's a 22 1/2" that weight 6 LB 15 oz. on a digital Rapala scale. The weight kept going from 6 lb 14 oz to 7 lbs even & even read 7 lbs 1 oz at one point.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The bass in question looks to be 20" (give or take an inch) which would put it in the 4.5 to 5 lb range.

Here's a 22 1/2" that weight 6 LB 15 oz. on a digital Rapala scale. The weight kept going from 6 lb 14 oz to 7 lbs even & even read 7 lbs 1 oz at one point.

Is that a spring or fall fatty? Nice fish

1 - 20 of 24 Posts