Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to get out Tuesday afternoon with some of my pals, started off the Bassett, nothing, made several moves and finally found some fish in 17 feet of water off the Ruscom Tower. Nothing to brag about. But we enjoyed the 72 degree day, which may be the last for awhile.

Talked with the legendary Kenny Black aboard Lites Out, he said that perch fishing has been slow this year on both sides of the ditch.

Some of the guys went back to that spot this morning and had a strong bite going until 11:00 A.M., front came through and they shut down. 4 guys ended up with 7 gallons of nice perch.

Weather does not look good for the next few days, but may try it on Saturday.

They got to get busy pretty soon, just hope that we are out there when they go on the feed.

Stay safe out there, not much help. We had to tow a boat last Friday about 15 miles back to the Clinton River, bad gas, his boat was dead in the water, not a pleaseant thought this time of the year.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
I saw 6 or 7 boats straight out about 3 or 4 miles from Mich. harbor. I saw them as I was putting the top on my boat:(

Dick when you planning to pull your boat out? It looks like we are in for some cold nights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,994 Posts
Sad day. On a good point, I drove the wife down to the boat tonight to show her how the top fit. In her words " I can't wait till next spring" what a gall. (she also dosen't ice fish)

I'm hoping my 15 hp. will be fixed by the time I get back from deer season. that little 16 foot cuts through ice just to get at the open water perch. poss the perch report will continue :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed, your right, temps going down in the 20's, you have to watch this stuff. Water temp was in the 50's on Tuesday, so you have some time, BUT I have experienced a flash freeze scenario in the past. The engine was O.K., kept some heat in the bilge with an electric light bulb/heater, but the darned harbor froze up in one night. :mad: This is not a good thing.

Plan on heading up deer hunting next week and did not want to worry about the cold weather, so the Cherokee is safe for this season, but I still have a 17 foot center console available for some late perch fishing if needed.

I have to look up some old pictures showing what it is like to move a boat through 1/2 inch of ice. Then again, I have one dating back a few years, where we had to chop ice around the hull of my buddies boat, hire a crane and lift a 31 Bertram out of the harbor to the tune of about $600.00 in early December. This was defintely not a good thing. We had a few laughs about this event and if I recall, someone got videos of this. Makes for some fun conversation in January-February & March over a few Bud Lights. ( He now spends the winter months in Flordia & Mexico, lucky guy)

I have seen the Clinton River freeze solid in one night, so I stopped taking chances, I guess age and experience helps on occassion.:eek: :D ;)

Stay safe and keep it warm if your still in the water!!!;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,165 Posts
I hope this isn't a bad decision but I have no intention of pulling the boat yet. A couple nights in the 20's isn't going to get me rattled yet but I don't like the thought of the crane exit. :p I'm hoping for at least another month of open water fishing. Sure beats sitting on a bucket! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John I think you got another month, unless we get some nasty weather. Pulled mine rather then drive back from up North if it looks like freeze time.

Water temp is still pretty warm, I think 50-52 on Tuesday, it would take some weather in the teens to make some ice, but you have to keep an eye on the inboard engines this time of year.

Stay safe!;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Hey Dick;

The boat that Dick makes reference to was my boat. We were 16 miles over in Canada and catching perch like there was no tomorrow (15 Gal). Real nich catch.
When it came time to make a move, I started both engines up,
and while backing up to the anchor, the Stb engine shut down and would not restart. Moments latter. the Prt engine took a dump also.
Called my buddies from HPYC and they brought out fuel filters, a case of Bud and some ice. As luck would have it, the filter changes did not resolve the problem so we had to be towed back by the Eggeceptional (Terry Novak). Come to find out that there was about 7 gal of H2o in my tanks which caused the problem.
Hmmm, i wonder how that got there?
At any rate, Terry did a great job getting us home safely and the Bud was sure great also because it sure was a long ride back to port.
Cpt T and crew, thanks for the tow and your concern!!:) :)

Bobby
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top