Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

LSC Floaters 6-12-2021

1329 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  fishinthed
Fished from shore yesterday for 2 hours from 9-11pm.
When I arrived immediately noticed 2 freshly(they still had a lot of color) dead floaters a smallmouth and a rock bass.
During the time out counted 7 total. Never noticed that many before.
Other than the first two the rest were seen separately at different intervals.
Was able to ID 4 . 1 LM,1 SM,and 2 Rock Bass(all descent sized fish).
The others were too far away to identify.
Seems reasonable that if I saw that many in two hours there were a whole lot more.
They all were being blown northward as the wind was from the south.
Likely that there will be a huge pile beached at Huron Point.

Of course there are multitudes of explanations ,
Believing that the recent heat has caused a temperature related stress die off.

Average water temperatures have risen about 11degrees F in the last 10 days.
Compared to one year ago it's 17 degrees higher . 50 then 67 today.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

The maximum water temperature yesterday was 77F @ 3&4pm(Data from LCS buoy 45147)
Line Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern

Ended up hooking 3 fish on a 1/8 jig with yellow twister tail. 2 shook off before landed.
A mothlike hatch was on ,that abruptly ended around 10:30pm.
See less
Fished from shore yesterday for 2 hours from 9-11pm.
When I arrived immediately noticed 2 freshly(they still had a lot of color) dead floaters a smallmouth and a rock bass.
During the time out counted 7 total. Never noticed that many before.
Other than the first two the rest were seen separately at different intervals.
Was able to ID 4 . 1 LM,1 SM,and 2 Rock Bass(all descent sized fish).
The others were too far away to identify.
Seems reasonable that if I saw that many in...
See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
There are always a lot of dead fish this time of year.
See more
Reckon that I hadn't really noticed before.
Reactions: jumbojake
Reckon that I hadn't really noticed before.
See more
The spawning ritual can be hard on fish then throw in all the bass fishermen catching them and it takes it toll.
Reactions: sureshot006
The spawning ritual can be hard on fish then throw in all the bass fishermen catching them and it takes it toll.
See more
I was out yesterday morning for about 5 hours and noticed a few bass and rock bass floating, but nothing that struck me as excessive. As noted, there are a lot of potential reasons for this. Fisherman are probably partly to blame but there are natural factors at play too. It certainly did not seem like anything to worry about.
I was out yesterday morning for about 5 hours and noticed a few bass and rock bass floating, but nothing that struck me as excessive. As noted, there are a lot of potential reasons for this. Fisherman are probably partly to blame but there are natural factors at play too. It certainly did not seem like anything to worry about.
See more
Yeah, water temperatures have gone nuts during this hot weather. I attempted to fish Selfridge briefly yesterday and the water temperature was about 78 with lots of floating weed mats, so I just bailed and went to the north channel, where even there it was 64 already.

It may be all right for a largemouth bass, but big pike can barely survive in 78 degree water. I figured the muskies I was going for probably hightailed it for cooler or deeper water.
Yeah, water temperatures have gone nuts during this hot weather. I attempted to fish Selfridge briefly yesterday and the water temperature was about 78 with lots of floating weed mats, so I just bailed and went to the north channel, where even there it was 64 already.

It may be all right for a largemouth bass, but big pike can barely survive in 78 degree water. I figured the muskies I was going for probably hightailed it for cooler or deeper water.
See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.