Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew the dust off the kayak and went looking for some fall Walleye yesterday. Had a pretty decent outing.
Ended up 2-4. Lost one about 10 feet from the kayak and had another take a big swipe at the lure.
Wonderbread bomber was the weapon of choice. They like their bread soggy apparently.
The water temp was 58.5 degrees and the water clarity was very good. A lot of surface weeds made things difficult at times.
Eyes were 24 inches and 21 inches.
Hope this is the first of a few good fall outings this year.
walleye.jpg

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
WTG getting out there and getting fish :). What depth did you get the fish at ? They should be getting in tight at night by now, but things seem to be a little late this year.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I have always thought the easiest launch to launch a boat and catch walleye at night this time of year would be Harley. I would say Metro, but you have to be gone at a certain time, which when you factor in the time to get back to launch load etc. wouldn't be worth it. I would try Harley and try the east side of the point as it takes awhile for the water to drop to 7-8 feet. If that doesnt produce try the South side of the point or rocky point on the North side of clinton mouth.. Another would be Crocker and hit the mouth of the spillway, or Brandenburg if you can in and out of there at night.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have always thought the easiest launch to launch a boat and catch walleye at night this time of year would be Harley. I would say Metro, but you have to be gone at a certain time, which when you factor in the time to get back to launch load etc. wouldn't be worth it. I would try Harley and try the east side of the point as it takes awhile for the water to drop to 7-8 feet. If that doesnt produce try the South side of the point or rocky point on the North side of clinton mouth.. Another would be Crocker and hit the mouth of the spillway, or Brandenburg if you can in and out of there at night.
You can get in and out of Bb park at night. Last year there were really good reports off the pier in late Oct.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm new to kayak fishing and I want to get into some walleye, how safe is it going out at night, do you have running lights I your kayak? Where are some good spots to launch from at night?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm new to kayak fishing and I want to get into some walleye, how safe is it going out at night, do you have running lights I your kayak? Where are some good spots to launch from at night?
Yes, I light my kayak up with leds, and nav lights. Any public launch with good lighting is a spot I would choose. Like anything there are risks, but as long as you are as safe as daytime kayaking, watch the weather/wind, Bring extra lighting, phone, radio...you should be fine. Buddy system is always good too, but I tend to break that rule a lot. I'm a last second, never know I'm going till my schedule clears kinda guy for the most part.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts