Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice St. Clair insisting from the DNR report for this past week? Anybody having any luck? Trying to gauge when the may fly issue is over.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes I also noticed the lack of report. I can give you my report. Fished at mouth of north channel yesterday 8-11am got 2 silver bass in 5 fow near grass island. That's it. Had 1 or 2 smallies following a tube in about 20 fow but would not commit. Bugs were not bad. Didn't notice them at all. Didn't see anyone catching anything. Was targeting smallmouth. Anyone know a good smallmouth location this time of year can't seem to pinpoint them and I am kinda new to St. Clair?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes I also noticed the lack of report. I can give you my report. Fished at mouth of north channel yesterday 8-11am got 2 silver bass in 5 fow near grass island. That's it. Had 1 or 2 smallies following a tube in about 20 fow but would not commit. Bugs were not bad. Didn't notice them at all. Didn't see anyone catching anything. Was targeting smallmouth. Anyone know a good smallmouth location this time of year can't seem to pinpoint them and I am kinda new to St. Clair?

We are headed to the South shore tomorrow. It will be our first trip to that side. We just aren't having much luck on the US side. We'll be hitting the Humps and 240 Hole to mix it up. We will be targeting SM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah would love to hear about anybody getting on any SM in this lake... We've got three shut outs in a row going off the mile roads. I'm told it's because of the mayflies but how long could these SM possibly be filled up from the fly hatch?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have not seen a weekly DNR or SDI LSC fishing report either, thinking about hitting LSC Sunday morning.

The mayflies have to be near finished. In the past this time of year, I have caught the majority of my LSC SM in 14-18+ FOW, in the channels, or the hump. If active cranks are productive, most consistent for me always been drop shot and tubes.

I would like to see some recent SM reports, I even looked on LSC.net not much there either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Caught a dozen smallies off the mile roads last Saturday. Its slow but they are there. We were in 15 fow. Find the weed beds and fish on and near the edges of them. Also caught an incidental walleye too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is this an unusually slow year for smallmouth or is this normal for the summer? It seemed like the spring time the fish were every where now everyone seems to be having a hard time pinpointing them.

·
Super Moderator
37,285 Posts
Well in spring they're staging to spawn. East to catch. Now the water is high and clear. You should be able to find them floating a minnow over weeds.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I guess I'm just confused because everything I read about Lake St Clair says you should be able to get into huge 50 plus fish days and I'm struggling to find one or two here and there. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong. I'm going to start to work the deeper water off the mile roads the next few times out. I mostly fish tubes and drop shots but like to throw crankbaits when the weeds are not to high. I guess I will have to really start watching the graph for changes in the weeds and start targeting those areas. Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
This has been a slow year for us as well. A couple 4-5 fish days and the last 2 weeks we only caught 3 and 1, respectively. The week before that, we caught 15 on Friday and 22 Sunday, so you never know. When we have been able to get Spot-tails, it has been good. However, we have not been able to get them consistently. We have had a hard time getting more than a couple fish with artificials.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts