Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first time poster on Michigan Sportsman here. I'm looking for some information to get me started in the right direction. I've never fished this area before but have heard good things about it. My wife will be attending a conference north of LSC and I'll be bringing my boat and eight year old grandson to fish for smallmouths and maybe muskies. My plan now is to fish the Anchor Bay area as it is closer to where we will be staying and to avoid the metro traffic. Any tips or tricks that will make our outings successfull would be appreciated. All of our fishing will be CPR so all we will take out of the resource is photographs. We have three days to fish, August 21-23. Thanks for any input or help that you might provide!:help:

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Try casting the docks and weed areas around Anchor Bay. If you can do a search in the Lake St. Clair/SCR sub forum, you will find a TON of info.

Good luck and welcome to the site. I hope you and your grandson have a memorable trip onto the lake.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Welcome to the site. I am not a bass / muskie fisherman. Any I do catch is not intended as I mainly target walleye. I have heard that fishing around grassy island, the st johns marsh, metro beach, the mouth of the clinton river will yeild some bass and also the canals. Good Luck
Mark

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
At that time of year if you can fish the south canadian shoreline would be your best bet for muskie. The weeds are usually bad in the bay which makes trolling difficult. Before you come up check this site or try www.rocketman.com for a up to date report.

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Welcome, Aug 21 - 23 is during the week so I personally wouldn't restrict myself to Anchor Bay. I rarely fish the Bay so I'm not much help.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
The channels are good for big smallmouth that time of year. Jig them along the channel edges with heavy tubes. You can catch walleyes that way too. For muskies, you can cast for them along the channels, jig for them with Bondy Baits (www.lakestclairfishing.com) or troll for them. If you are targeting Muskies trolling, you may want to focus your efforts near the channel edges, where they dump into LSC and the entire South Shore of LSC is great for Muskies and Bass that time of the year. Stay out in 15-20 FOW for Muskies and 12-15 FOW for bass. Dragging tubes, casting with x-raps and rattletraps or trolling with cranks works well for the smallies. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hire a guide for your first day of fishing.
He can show you around, get you on some fish,correct baits,etc.
If you are north of LSC you can cast Anchor Bay, lots of great spots,
you can always get out fishing no matter what the weather is like.
Go to michiganmuskiebob.com
Hire Bob Brunner for the day, he is great fun to fish with and knows the bay better than anyone.

·
Registered
630 Posts
MillDoo said:
At that time of year if you can fish the south canadian shoreline would be your best bet for muskie. The weeds are usually bad in the bay which makes trolling difficult. Before you come up check this site or try www.rocketman.com for a up to date report.
I think he meant http://www.muskie-lures.com/, this is the rocketmans web site which normally has up to date reports for LSC Muskie fishing.
PS Beside Bass and Muskie, if you want something real memorable, maybe give night time sturgeon fishing a try, season opens mid July. While I will not give up a hole, perhaps read some old posts on this forum and think deep. Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A big "Thank You!" for those of you who were kind enough to try and help me out. I will post my results when I get back home after the trip. Your help is very much appreciated.:) :) :) :) :) :fish:

·
Registered
117 Posts
SMELIKFIS said:
Hire a guide for your first day of fishing.
He can show you around, get you on some fish,correct baits,etc.
If you are north of LSC you can cast Anchor Bay, lots of great spots,
you can always get out fishing no matter what the weather is like.
Go to michiganmuskiebob.com
Hire Bob Brunner for the day, he is great fun to fish with and knows the bay better than anyone.
yep, what he said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts