Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
From my experience neither perch nor pike bite very well after dark. The canals and basins around Metro can be great for crappie after dark..

·
Registered
658 Posts
my opinion slightly varies for pike.....i have done rather well on icing pike on tip ups after the sun goes down....i do agree thatwalleye fishing rocks at night though

·
Premium Member
12,553 Posts
A Burbot or two have been known to be mixed in with the Walleyes

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Originally posted by Big Frank 25
A Burbot or two have been known to be mixed in with the Walleyes
I've heard that too but in all my years fishing that area, I've never landed one.
Sometimes when I get out there a little early, the redeyes (Rockbass) are coming in the boat 2 at a time with an occasional Perch. As it transitions to daylight, the redeyes slow and the Perch start popping. Walleye are always good at night and I've caught some nice Muskie in the darkness as well. Here is a long skinny one we picked up one night.

·
Premium Member
12,553 Posts
I've known them to taken thru the ice at night. Never in great numbers!

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
In the winter I Have done ok on Walleye but only up to 2 hrs after sunset. Possibly the eyes moved closer to shore?

·
catch & digest
3,867 Posts
Have done well on crappies and gills after dark in canals. It's hit and miss though, some days you hit them well, next night nothing. The more lanterns the better, I usually use 4. Don't see many perch after dark, a few sometimes but not enough to target. Some of the best gills come at night.

Harry

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crappie and bluegills at night sounds interesting. I work days Mon. - Fri., so my only chance to ice fish is on the weekends (crowds & noise) unless I go after work, which would mean fishing after dark. Where would some of the better canals to try be at ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts