Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to work to take home 22 the bite seemed slow today but the pack of boats is getting bigger. Almost got run over by someone in a hurry in the fog in a 50 footer he even had the nerve to honk his horn at me. Sorry Dude I was anchored on your plot to the North Channel.

·
Super Moderator
27,250 Posts
He wasn't honking at you particularly. If you noticed he did sound his horn well after he past you also. Larger boats will regularly do that to let others know that they are coming thru the fog. Actually all boats should do that especially with real thick fog. He was doing the right thing. If you noticed the freighters that went by also sounded their horn.

Yup, I saw him leaving GPYC. I was in towards shore from you

Fishing report: got a few at GPYC. Slow, very slow. Moved half a dozen times. Did pick up a 13" er in 11 FOW. Moved towards 400 club and picked up some more including a 12"er. All others kept were 8-9in. Got 2 or 3 here and then 2 more there. Did not find a hotspot.

Jimmy's has emeralds. Mixed bag of small and large. We used mostly the large ones.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disagree. His radar was on when he left GPYC he was well aware that there were 10-12 boats in front of the club, no reason to go up to plane in the fog certainly in 10-12 feet of water. Not like he was rounding Metro Point in 4-5 feet of water.

·
Super Moderator
27,250 Posts
I disagree. His radar was on when he left GPYC he was well aware that there were 10-12 boats in front of the club, no reason to go up to plane in the fog certainly in 10-12 feet of water. Not like he was rounding Metro Point in 4-5 feet of water.
Freighters radar are on also yet they still sound one prolong blast of the whistle. He gave you and everyone, one prolong blast which is a signal in restricted visibility. From my vantage point he was a good 200 ft from you if not more. He wasn't totally on plane either. His bow was much higher than his behind. Was he throwing a wake. Yup. He did the right thing in sounding his whistle with the fog we had.

Fog signal while underway: 1 prolong blast not more than 2 minutes apart.

Fog signal while underway but not moving: 2 prolong blast of not more than 2 minutes apart

·
Registered
681 Posts
Freighters radar are on also yet they still sound one prolong blast of the whistle. He gave you and everyone, one prolong blast which is a signal in restricted visibility. From my vantage point he was a good 200 ft from you if not more. He wasn't totally on plane either. His bow was much higher than his behind. Was he throwing a wake. Yup. He did the right thing in sounding his whistle with the fog we had.

Fog signal while underway: 1 prolong blast not more than 2 minutes apart.

Fog signal while underway but not moving: 2 prolong blast of not more than 2 minutes apart
Yes but it takes a freighter 2 miles to put the brakes on .In my opinion you gotta use care in the fog PERIOD.....

·
Super Moderator
27,250 Posts
Yes but it takes a freighter 2 miles to put the brakes on .In my opinion you gotta use care in the fog PERIOD.....
In my opinion and that of the 2 guys I had with me, he was using care. He was letting others know he was in the area and underway(by using his whisle). Radar tells him what boats are in front of him while the whistle tells others he is around in your area. (those without radar). All of us agreed he was traveling about 15MPH and most definitely not on plane.

Could he have moved a little further to starboard and gave more room? Yes. Was he too close or endangering another boat? No.

Let me add the visibility was more than a 1/2 mile right there where we were. He could clearly see everyone aroung the GPYC but not much further out. The thickness of the fog varied, but I did not see it less than 1/4 mile at any point.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
My boat training from the USCG Aux, would say that his signal was proper. Sounds to me like he knew what he was doing and was using appropriate signals.

I was in the area this morninf also (I was that little silver 14 foot lund). Made a half dozen moves around the pack, tried in close, then moved deeper and deeper and finally found my way to marker 18. Tried it there for a half hour with same non success.

Time to kill a deer (or 2).

Jim
US Coast Guard Auxiliary

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
In my opinion and that of the 2 guys I had with me, he was using care. He was letting others know he was in the area and underway(by using his whisle). Radar tells him what boats are in front of him while the whistle tells others he is around in your area. (those without radar). All of us agreed he was traveling about 15MPH and most definitely not on plane.

Could he have moved a little further to starboard and gave more room? Yes. Was he too close or endangering another boat? No.
When it comes to the ways of the water I would listen to Walleye:)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
We launched about 10:30am and ran to the south shore. Visibility was about 1/2 mile by then. Nice run accross the lake. Fished a couple different spots. Cleaner water off Belle river. Moved three miles or so east into stained/dirty water and the catching was steady. kept about 50 with plenty of jumbo's. back to the ramp by 1:45pm. Happy with our results for an afternoon outting.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Here is the picture at the cleaning table, had some for dinner they were good. Hope I can get out again soon before the weather blows up the lake for good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts