Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's got the scoop on these? I saw them being used on the last MOOD show and wondered if they were a combo unit...i.e. Flasher and a graph? I looked them up and the only thing that keeps me going in that direction (combo unit) is the pictures.

If it truly is a combo unit, I would be interested in getting one. I thought I wanted a Vexilar F-18 until I saw that one. Prices look to be the same and maybe even cheaper.....around $300.

If anyone knows any details, please let me know. I alreadu did a search and it looked like MSUICEMNA knew someonthing about them last year.......any more thoughts MSUICEMAN?

TIA.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
they are actually a TFT screen, which is better in the colder elements than a traditional LCD screen. My thoughts if you wanted to spend money on something that you would use on both your boat and ice fishing, these may very well be the way to go, since you can get a cradle and ducer for the boating application also, where i believe graphs outdue flashers for the most part.

They have a different multicolor display (ie more colors), that would take a little bit of getting used to, but since it is a color active display, it is backlit all the time which would be nice in dark weather.

It has a split zoom which i believe zooms into the bottom 6' of the water column, so thats good too.

I don't have one.... yet.... but I'm still looking into them, as I think i might be sold on it.

oh yeah, its also 800 Watts PtP I believe, compared to the FL18's 400 PtP. That being said, i'm not too sure what cone angle you would be lookin at with the ducers that lowrance has for it, but it may be worth looking into.

steve

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by MSUICEMAN
they are actually a TFT screen, which is better in the colder elements than a traditional LCD screen. My thoughts if you wanted to spend money on something that you would use on both your boat and ice fishing, these may very well be the way to go, since you can get a cradle and ducer for the boating application also, where i believe graphs outdue flashers for the most part.
This is exactly what I wanted to do. I don't want to buy two units if one can give me the best of both worlds. Sounds like this is it then eh?
oh yeah, its also 800 Watts PtP I believe, compared to the FL18's 400 PtP. That being said, i'm not too sure what cone angle you would be lookin at with the ducers that lowrance has for it, but it may be worth looking into.
I was reading on another forum about how the higher Watts are not an advantage. :confused: The transducer cone angle is something I need to find out about however. I would like the ability to easily switch ducers (like the FL-18) if they have that option.

Good stuff Steve. If anyone else has info/opinions...let's hear it

·
Registered
471 Posts
Alright guys.. heres the run down from the work place on that x67c. Its an LCD screen with the tft coating to reduce glare and to better optimize it for cold weather use. They come with a 20 degree skimmer transducer and have the option to use other lowrance transducer for all season use. THe downfall I see to that unit is that it has tom uch power for shallow water use.. 800 compared to 400 on a vexilar. You will start getting to much clutter/interferance from that x67 in shallow water from it where you can crank down your watts even lower on the fl18 by switching to the low power setting or on the fl8 swithing around the power cord to the s-cable which gives you some power reduction. I havent had a chance to use one yet but may gank the display model for a day this week to give it a try. I will let you know how I like it later this week..

sideshow

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
having more power does not necessarily mean anything about more clutter, just because the fact that they possibly may run some digital filters to filter out the noise. Its all in the software, it says that it has advanced signal processing, which I would take as some sort of IIR filtering. So basically I think the jury is still out on that one, I think only actually using it will finally put this issue to rest.

steve

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by sideshow
Alright guys.. heres the run down from the work place on that x67c. Its an LCD screen with the tft coating to reduce glare and to better optimize it for cold weather use. They come with a 20 degree skimmer transducer and have the option to use other lowrance transducer for all season use. THe downfall I see to that unit is that it has tom uch power for shallow water use.. 800 compared to 400 on a vexilar. You will start getting to much clutter/interferance from that x67 in shallow water from it where you can crank down your watts even lower on the fl18 by switching to the low power setting or on the fl8 swithing around the power cord to the s-cable which gives you some power reduction. I havent had a chance to use one yet but may gank the display model for a day this week to give it a try. I will let you know how I like it later this week..

sideshow
Awesome sideshow. Like Steve said....using it will be the true test. I do hope you get a chance to test it out and please let us know the results. I am very interested in how it performs. Flasher in the winter, graph in the summer......I am surprised it took someone this long to come up with the idea.

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Thats particular unit is more for saltwater but good be used well on the deepwater on the big lakes.its for reaching down to depths of 8ooft or more hince the higher wattage.;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've got the m68 Low. IceMachine and have had it out about 6-7 times so far. This model is the 67 + a GPS (basically). I've fished shallow and deep for panfish and used it on the Sag. and L. Bay De Noc for 'eyes.

It has performed very well so far. I've had a flasher for a long time but they sent me this one to try out and so far I've liked it. I can see the swivel above my Rapala in 50ft. of water and usually see when I lose my bait. Also helped out a ton targeting suspended schools of Crappie in 12-15ft. of water. I did have a bit of trouble in the shallows (4-7ft.) but I haven't got a chance to really delve into the bells and whistles to see if I could remedy the clutter.

Problem is, when you watch the walleye come in on the Aqua-Vu and they have locjaw, a flasher or LCD doesn't help. But then again, that could just be my lousy fishin' skills.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thats particular unit is more for saltwater but good be used well on the deepwater on the big lakes.its for reaching down to depths of 8ooft or more hince the higher wattage.
There are two seperate options on the 67c for tranducers with one being a deep saltwater tranducer and the other being a normal use transducer. Same basic unit as grey ghost stated between the x67c and the m68c with the 68 having the smap gps and internal antenna. Both have had great reviews since I have been asking around to the customers which bought them from us... Our electronics guru here says that there shouldnt be a problem with shallow water use on that unit with about what msuiceman said. So its looking to be a great unit!! They are also able to have temp and speed sensors on them for summer time use..

sideshow

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,441 Posts
you can almost ALWAYS tune out clutter!!
My Eagle has 4KW and I mark fish in 15 fow as well as 70 fow (I use a single 20° puckstyle for ice fishing)
I originally thought my machine had 1500 watts - but here is a copy of the original email from Lowrance:

Thank you for your inquiry. The output power of the Eagle SeaFinder 320 DF was changed upward after the literature had already been printed. The actual output power is 4000 watts peak to peak. In 50 kHz frequency depth ranges well in excess of 1000 feet are possible with this model. Thank you again.

Eagle Customer Service
12000 E. Skelly Dr.
Tulsa, OK 74128

Customer Service: 1-800-324-1354
Eagle website: www.Eaglesonar.com

LEI: Parts & Accessories 1-800-324-0045
online at http://www.lei-extras.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 6:32 PM
To: eagleinfo; eaglesonar
Subject: Sonar Questions

Robert
[email protected]
(231) xxx-xxxx SeaFinder 320DF S/N 011114192

Hello ,

I JUST picked up a SeaFinder 320DF and noticed the website , manual and box state different power output ratings.... Which is it??
1500 Watts or 4 KW?? - I know this unit's X-dcr 'snaps' louder than my FishEasy2 , which is supposed to be 1500 Watts.
Does the SeaFinder 320DF put out 4000 watts?? "Curious in White Cloud , Mi."

Thank You ! Robert

The X67 looks like a nice machine.
http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/X67C_ice.asp
Owner's Manual :

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty sweet demo. It looks like what I would want for all season use. I didn't see this demo on the site. THANKS sfw1960!!

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,441 Posts
You're welcome!

Pretty sweet demo.
Got that right....
Ya know , it's what I used (the emulator) to help me decide that the Eagle SeaFinder320DF was what I wanted.
That's just one of the many reasons Lowrance is number one.

;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hey DuckMan, just thought I would put in my 2 cents. I used my Lowrance X-87, which has a flashgraph mode, 320x320 pixels. I mouned it on an IceBox, and in my opinion, because I wanted the best of both worlds, it works great. I use it on my boat in the summer, and this was the first for it on the ice. Had no freeze ups, just kept the light on. It isn't color, but, that didn't bother me. Lowrance just put out a new one with 480x480 you might look into.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts