Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Navionics Gold Card Grest Lakes chip and an SD card I made with Mapcreate 7. When I save a waypoint is it automatically put on the chip or on an internal hard drive in the unit. The unit will not turn on and might be bad. Wondering if I lost all my waypoints now?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I have a Navionics Gold Card Grest Lakes chip and an SD card I made with Mapcreate 7. When I save a waypoint is it automatically put on the chip or on an internal hard drive in the unit. The unit will not turn on and might be bad. Wondering if I lost all my waypoints now?
You need to have either chip installed.
The waypoints are stored internally and should show up on whatever chip you have installed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if the unit is dead? Can i put the chip in another unit and i will still have the cordinates? Or will they be stuck inside the dead unit.As of right now my gps is fried. A piece was missing in the 12 volt cord so i spliced another 12 cord, connected the 2 wires and fried the unit. I guess in the 12 volt adaptor there is a thing in there that steps the voltage down to 3 volts. The unit only requires only 3 volts. I didnt know that and I put 12 volts to it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ultraman, contact an electronics repair center (not Best Buy or anything like that). Abel electronics on Harper in Saint Clair Shores (586-777-8232) may be able to fix a minor problem. I had a 12vdc power supply spike up to 20vc and took out some diodes in an old Eagle Explorer GPS and was told that it would probably be under $100.00 to fix it. The Explorer was not worth it but I still have it in case I run in to a buddy of a buddy who’s into electronics repairs. There is/was another place at 14 mile and Van Dyke (K-40 I think, http://flint.citysearch.com/profile/map/5161369/warren_mi/k_40_electronics.html) that was also an official electronics repair shop. It might just be something in the incoming components that got cooked.

Good luck.
Frogman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts