Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 101 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
I've been very conservative with finances. Maybe too conservative. I could easily afford a new lower but would rather upgrade from a 20+ year old 2 stroke. I just don’t have the leverage with my wife right now. She says she wants a lake house if I buy a boat lol. We don't see eye to eye when it comes to a 2nd property (id rather rent by the week and buy hunting land, which she says is not useful to her) or the "need" for a new boat. "Before you buy a boat we should do xyz...". Then I admit, I don't NEED a shiny new boat to catch fish... but then again, what am I to do with what I've accumulated?

Now I'm getting into the weeds and too personal lol. Bottom line is I don't see the need for a new lower unless there are real signs of damage. A little water has potential to cause damage but it "appears" I caught it in time. No abnormal metal shavings or chunks. No noises I'm aware of.
Just grow some balls and tell her, “Woman, I’m going to buy a new boat if I please.” Also, before you do that, let us know to which funeral home we should send flowers, or your charity of choice in lieu of flowers.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Took the lower unit off today. Can't tell just looking at it where a problem might lie. Still waiting on parts.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
While you're in there do you want to replace the water pump impeller, housing and hose (if a hose is used)?

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
While you're in there do you want to replace the water pump impeller, housing and hose (if a hose is used)?
Impeller for sure. Considering what things looked like last time I changed the impeller, I dont really see a reason to change the housing.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Impeller for sure. Considering what things looked like last time I changed the impeller, I dont really see a reason to change the housing.
Unless you are looking for a winter project, why not take it to someone familiar with rebuilding them? If you haven't replaced seals in 20 years, it's time. You've already removed the lower unit. Let a professional go through it to inspect it while replacing seals and impeller. As long as you didn't have a bunch of metal in the oil you drained you'll be investing $200-$300 in the boat, instead of $2500.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Unless you are looking for a winter project, why not take it to someone familiar with rebuilding them? If you haven't replaced seals in 20 years, it's time. You've already removed the lower unit. Let a professional go through it to inspect it while replacing seals and impeller. As long as you didn't have a bunch of metal in the oil you drained you'll be investing $200-$300 in the boat, instead of $2500.
It "should" be a day job of replacing seals. If anything looks suspect I will hand it off.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Lower unit looks black. Is it a Merc? If so you will likely need to remove the bearing carrier. Replacing both prop shaft seals is very difficult with the props haft in place
Yes it is a mercury. Removal and replacement of the seals can be done without removing the guts but you're correct. The proper way is to pull it. Helps avoid gouging the shaft which would cause premature failure of new seals.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I called my coworker to determine a day/time to check the seals and start replacements.

His wife works in a hospital. Guess with who? Yes, covid patients. And guess who is sicker than a dog! She's getting over it but his is not over the hump yet.

No rush for me. But April comes fast!

·
Registered
250 Posts
yikes that sucks. I finished up my johnny 110 yesterday, it wasn’t too bad, just a bit time consuming. I was able to change all the seals with the driveshaft and gears un-removed... now just need to pressure test. Supposed to also do a vacuum test, but I don’t have the equipment. Crossing my fingers it’ll hold...

·
Registered
26,760 Posts
I read reviews on it. LOTS of people say its a one time use tool, which is kinda BS. That is the one reason I haven't bought it yet.
If you ever have to bleed brakes, it's a handy tool to have.
Or you could sell it in Craigslist, market place, etc.

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Yes.....never buy anything like that from Harbor Freight. My compression tester from them lasted about 2 years, my brothers lasted 2 years.....about 3 uses on each unit.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
If you ever have to bleed brakes, it's a handy tool to have.
Or you could sell it in Craigslist, market place, etc.
I wouldn't sell a POS to anyone. I'd buy it in a heartbeat at that price if I thought it was better than a 1 time use tool.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I've only used it to test Lower Units. 10 so far and it still works great. Maybe a single-use tool for bleeding brakes but I've never used it for that. It IS true that HF Compression testers are junk though. I re-hab a lot of OMC outboards from the 60's through the 80's. NEVER trust a HF compression tester!

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I opened the plug the other day and heard it break vacuum. Probably from a temp change since plugging the first time. Obviously not leaking much just sitting in the cold.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Can't find any leaks. Holding 10 psi indefinitely. Hmmm probably a poor seal on a plug that is now good.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
When replacing the old gear oil drain plug, I noticed there was a tiny tear in the old one. Probably the culprit. There was NO line on the prop shaft and everything else looked fine. I was going to replace the water pump impeller but the gasket kit was missing a gasket and the old had torn on removal. (n) So, that will wait until I get one.

81 - 101 of 106 Posts