Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Font Tints and shades Wood Office supplies Writing implement
I need to hit the hardware store for a fitting & hose to plumb this onto my cooling system pressure tester, but I have just what you are looking for.
If you would like to borrow it, pm me your contact/cell info and we can arrange a meet up.
I am in westland so maybe south of the airport somewhere would be halfway???
Let me know...

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Why new lower unit? If I have to put $2300 into it I'd rather just buy a new (used) boat. Its a good excuse anyway...
The new unit breathes some life into the motor. I’m a throw-parts-at-it kind of guy, so that’s how I address things like this. Yes it’s a bit more money to do it this way. What is your expected holding period for this boat? You mentioned a new-to-you boat a couple of times.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I should mention there was a normal amount of fine metal "fuzz" on the drain plug magnet. No chunks of any kind.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The new unit breathes some life into the motor. I’m a throw-parts-at-it kind of guy, so that’s how I address things like this. Yes it’s a bit more money to do it this way. What is your expected holding period for this boat? You mentioned a new-to-you boat a couple of times.
I've been very conservative with finances. Maybe too conservative. I could easily afford a new lower but would rather upgrade from a 20+ year old 2 stroke. I just don’t have the leverage with my wife right now. She says she wants a lake house if I buy a boat lol. We don't see eye to eye when it comes to a 2nd property (id rather rent by the week and buy hunting land, which she says is not useful to her) or the "need" for a new boat. "Before you buy a boat we should do xyz...". Then I admit, I don't NEED a shiny new boat to catch fish... but then again, what am I to do with what I've accumulated?

Now I'm getting into the weeds and too personal lol. Bottom line is I don't see the need for a new lower unless there are real signs of damage. A little water has potential to cause damage but it "appears" I caught it in time. No abnormal metal shavings or chunks. No noises I'm aware of.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Unless the housing's shot a few seals will stop the intrusion
Ya. I don't see any damage but its backed into the corner of the garage where I have little room to work. Hasn't been a priority to work on yet. I'm sure I will get to it the week before the walleye run :D

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
View attachment 615113 I need to hit the hardware store for a fitting & hose to plumb this onto my cooling system pressure tester, but I have just what you are looking for.
If you would like to borrow it, pm me your contact/cell info and we can arrange a meet up.
Let me know...
I have a cooling system pressure tester (was a mechanic for 20 years) so thats what I use as well. I would NOT use compressed air to test this. too easy to blow a seal and cause more problems

and no way I would put a new lower unit for a problem like that! I have a 1995 Johnson 200 its been perfect all these years, a little seal leak is expected and easy to repair

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
View attachment 615113 I need to hit the hardware store for a fitting & hose to plumb this onto my cooling system pressure tester, but I have just what you are looking for.
Let me know...
I appreciate the offer and if needed I will contact you. Looks like an ideal rig. Is that plug plastic? Hard to tell in the picture. I do have a fitting for fill pump that threads into the fill hole and of course the tubing. Thats how I planned to test it with a regulated air supply.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I have a cooling system pressure tester (was a mechanic for 20 years) so thats what I use as well. I would NOT use compressed air to test this. too easy to blow a seal and cause more problems
I can see that... you wouldn't use a high quality regulator like for a good airbrush?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I am sure it would be fine I just prefer pressurizing by hand

and I would try to find out what the spec is, 10 psi might be too much I really have no idea on that

·
Registered
220 Posts
[QUOTE="sureshot006, post: 8811841, member: 51542". Looks like an ideal rig. Is that plug plastic? Hard to tell in the picture.

That is a metal plug ( an old one the slot had gotten sloppy) with a hole drilled thru, silver soldered to a 1/4" brass barb. I notched the barb fitting to fit in the slot so it can be torqued for a good seal.
I had been wanting to make one for years and your post motivated me lol.
I am going to put it together on an old cooling system pressure tester. Pump by hand with an guage to monitor pressure loss. Should work great, and now that I have it, I hope to never need it lol!

I also have the plastic fill fitting but doubt that will seal well for monitoring pressure drop.

When you get ready to start working on your boat, your welcome to use it.

·
Registered
10,954 Posts
I think its something like up to 15 but I have to get my manual out.
You should be able to detect a leak at 2-4 psi. At 10 psi I’d start getting concerned about damaging a good seal and getting a false diagnosis. These things are not pressure vessels. At 10 psi, that’s 160 pounds pressing on every surface inside the casting as big as a dollar bill.

·
38,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
You should be able to detect a leak at 2-4 psi. At 10 psi I’d start getting concerned about damaging a good seal and getting a false diagnosis. These things are not pressure vessels. At 10 psi, that’s 160 pounds pressing on every surface inside the casting as big as a dollar bill.
Likely true. videos showing how to test are recommending 10-12 psig.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts