Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my son for a short trip. Hit a white bass spot before the Regatta closed off TC. They were on as soon as it hit the water. After the first one, an officer stopped by and politely asked us to leave. He was apologetic, seeing my son catch a fish, and agreed to allow us to stay for just a few minutes. We caught 5 more and left for walleye.

Trolled harnesses (purple/copper, copper/firetiger) for 1.5 passes. Couldnt have been more than 30 min though I didn't track time. Caught 7, lost 6. Most were lost trying to hand off to my son. We used 6 oz bouncers, which I really liked for the 30 fow we fished, but when I bought them I thought they were 4 oz. Should have known better looking at them but I was in a hurry and they were on the 4oz rack. I was going 2.3 mph with the current.
20210515_103348.jpg

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
Awesome!
Congrats on the outing . And the fish!

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think he's going to submit for a patch.

View attachment 767308
Sweet, hey start a collection, I like it....thought those two middle fish looked fairly big....gonna fry up a mix & do the sneaky "taste test" thing ? lol....or just a mix cook & try ?....

Any master angler fish is good stuff....Congrats to the young man !....

Reactions: sureshot006

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
Great job and it doesn’t get any better no matter what the age of a son is. Always enjoyable when I get to fish with mine.

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet, hey start a collection, I like it....thought those two middle fish looked fairly big....gonna fry up a mix & do the sneaky "taste test" thing ? lol....or just a mix cook & try ?....

Any master angler fish is good stuff....Congrats to the young man !....
They were the first fish we caught so something had to go in the livewell. They're in the garden now.

The 2 biggest were both MA. One was a football shape with eggs. The pic angle doesn't do it justice.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
They were the first fish we caught so something had to go in the livewell. They're in the garden now.

The 2 biggest were both MA. One was a football shape with eggs. The pic angle doesn't do it justice.
Nothing wrong with a little "Indian fertilizer" !....lol....cheers....

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
great job and super cute picture of Jr. Did you loose any weight BB in those rocks or fishing by Celeron? 2.3 mph with the current, how about against current? I fished there Friday afternoon and got 5.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Took my son for a short trip. Hit a white bass spot before the Regatta closed off TC. They were on as soon as it hit the water. After the first one, an officer stopped by and politely asked us to leave. He was apologetic, seeing my son catch a fish, and agreed to allow us to stay for just a few minutes. We caught 5 more and left for walleye.

Trolled harnesses (purple/copper, copper/firetiger) for 1.5 passes. Couldnt have been more than 30 min though I didn't track time. Caught 7, lost 6. Most were lost trying to hand off to my son. We used 6 oz bouncers, which I really liked for the 30 fow we fished, but when I bought them I thought they were 4 oz. Should have known better looking at them but I was in a hurry and they were on the 4oz rack. I was going 2.3 mph with the current. View attachment 767291
That is so much fun !! Good for you!!

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great job and super cute picture of Jr. Did you loose any weight BB in those rocks or fishing by Celeron? 2.3 mph with the current, how about against current? I fished there Friday afternoon and got 5.
No lost gear. I fished an area where the only bottom structure is kinda soft. No real snags that I know of. Lower river is a big place ;)

I haven’t attempted to troll BB against the current.

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL, he is or you are?!!!

Since it's his first patch I'd get it framed and matted with a picture of him in it. That memory will be hanging on the wall of his home 50 years from now. Just an idea...
I submitted it of course. But he did the catching!

He got one last year, too. But last year I had to hold the rod while he cranked.

Still won't hold a fish but yea going to probably use one of the ones kneeling with all of them.

We took a pic of him with 6 walleye at his feet and the rod next to him went off. Started reeling it in and one of the eyes started flopping toward his feet. Screamed like a little girl lol. That was #7 which we tossed back and a good point to end the trip.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Great story. Don't pick on him for. Being squimish at thus pount. Just keep working with him.

Think I was a bit younger than him ( I don't recall this) but I was scared of outboards.... so I have been told. Would be with my dad where he kept his boat in wyandotte. Would fish the canal, playing in dad's boat, or just be outside... someone would start a outboard ( this was in the 60's) and I would run away crying from them... so I'm told.

Till one day my Uncle John grabbed me and tossed me into his hydoplane. Buzzed me up and around the canals in Gib... odd I remember riding that boat. Loved. It.

Great outing you had with your son. Keep it up.

·
Super Moderator
37,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great story. Don't pick on him for. Being squimish at thus pount. Just keep working with him.

Think I was a bit younger than him ( I don't recall this) but I was scared of outboards.... so I have been told. Would be with my dad where he kept his boat in wyandotte. Would fish the canal, playing in dad's boat, or just be outside... someone would start a outboard ( this was in the 60's) and I would run away crying from them... so I'm told.

Till one day my Uncle John grabbed me and tossed me into his hydoplane. Buzzed me up and around the canals in Gib... odd I remember riding that boat. Loved. It.

Great outing you had with your son. Keep it up.
He used to only want the "quiet motor" (trolling motor). Very sensitive to lound noise. Wears hearing protection for running the vacuum and used to have to wear them for the 2 stroke on the boat. But he has overcome the boat thing. He's gotta be the one to start it and shut it down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts