Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let you guy's know that it was'nt that great out there this weekend for myself, not sure what it was,but when didnt get the fish like we thought it we were,Thats fishing thought, was good to be out on the water and not working tho.. friday we got 3 out of 4 limit's ,worked real hard for them 7 hours worth..saturday 6 hours worth and managed 8 but again was good to be out there...Ant one else have any luck and or help in what the sercert bait for them was ..We took most fish on raps# 11 and plugs..one minute we would get 1 or 2 on raps then go dry change up and go to the plugs and get a few more...then back to the raps... Good luck out there Mark...

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Out of the 10 on friday night. 6 came jiggin 3 of the 6 were given to me by my buddy. 4 on #9 or 11 hot steel. we had a dry spell too. That is when we decided to finish out handlining.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
andy capp said:
Out of the 10 on friday night. 6 came jiggin 3 of the 6 were given to me by my buddy. 4 on #9 or 11 hot steel. we had a dry spell too. That is when we decided to finish out handlining.
Where were u fishing andy...

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I started at the cat, and my drift took me all the way to the west side of calf. fish came from just south of the cat but out in the middle. Handlining I started just north of calf and worked all the way to the pack by the discharge. We got 4 on that pass. My buddy gave me 3 fish so We had the 10.

I think you were heading out when I was coming in.

All the fish seem to come n the middle of the river.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks andy for your report.i started about 830 friday and 700 saturdayi caught a few down east of calf then worked north to dischage .all my fish this year have been middle channnel anmd west side of big isle...we seem to loose lots of fish just at the boat.Bummer but oh well that fishing..prolly going north this coming weeking have somethings to do up there..maybe cast for bass off the dock...:D so if i dont seeya sometime out there good luck,i'll be fishING the river till june first then to the lake,then my TIme of year SALMON.... Mark oh we did get the nicest fish north of discharge lil deeper water...cya

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
winds from the east you catch the least, winds from the west you catch the best...go figure but an old man told me that 25 years ago, and it is true 95% of the time.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
motcityman said:
winds from the east you catch the least, winds from the west you catch the best...go figure but an old man told me that 25 years ago, and it is true 95% of the time.
I dont believe that one bit. we have had more east wind this year that I can remember. The fishing has been stellar for us.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well I know if the wind is from the east as it has been this weekend , we work harder for them, most of the time I have had a limit in less then an hour, well friday it took 3 hours ...now i am not perfect, but i cover the same area when the winds out of the west and gone home in 45 mins...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
motcityman said:
Well I know if the wind is from the east as it has been this weekend , we work harder for them, most of the time I have had a limit in less then an hour, well friday it took 3 hours ...now i am not perfect, but i cover the same area when the winds out of the west and gone home in 45 mins...just my 2 cents.
Boat control and trolling speed (if your handlining) is an issue with a NE or NNE wind. Saturday night is a perfect example of an east wind, definately not as good when compared to Friday evening.

I do not have a GPS or a LCD Finder in my boat and it can be difficult to judge your speed with a NE/NNE coming down the chute and a 5 MPH current to top it off.

I would rather have a south or west any day of the week.

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
motcityman said:

I used to believe that and still do to a "certain degree". In the river,, I don't think it matters,, the lake is a different story,, in my experience anyway.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SabikiRig said:
Willie,

It was nice talking to you at the ramp friday night. :)
yeah back at ya we should talk a little more when were not so rushed to go fishing:lol:..how did your friends from dakota do??i saw you pulling fish a few times,and bout the wind tell me bout it in that boat it was bad,we lots way more than we caught as well...then came saturday even worst and there is some truth to the wind..we still were gettting lite bites saturday..just took awhile to get a few in the boat...cya out there again sometime,maybe not this weekend tho....Good Luck Mark..

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
motcityman said:
I've always believed that too, but once in a while it fails. Last night, RyGuy525 and I boated 7 fish. Started jigging around 8pm, and boated 2. Switched to pulling wire after dark and they were on. First one darn near took Ryan out of the boat! :lol: Would have had a limit easily if I had my other reel back in service or my 3 year old was willing to stay a little longer. (He is good about telling me when he is ready to leave, and not keeping him on the water keeps him going back. Small sacrifices.) We had fun, though. Clown and pupledescent were what we were using, but I don't think color would have mattered a lot last night.

Going to try to get that reel in action tonight. If that don't work will be calling Bill Bell.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I fished Saturday night out of wyndotte. Tough conditions to say the least, compound that with my trolling motor seemed to be running rough(even with new plugs,,, gas ??? Fuel line???). We did have to move around a little but ended up with a limit.
Clown and Purpldescent seamed to be the color over the weekend, I've seen 3 or 4 reports mention them. We caught fish on them and I ran some of my custom raps lime with black spots and chartruese with red dots (some call it cherry bomb).

Anyone headed out tonight? I should be out there around 8-8:30 (after my sons hockey game) Blue Starcraft side counsil handlining head of mudd island somewhere.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Anyone headed out tonight? I should be out there around 8-8:30 (after my sons hockey game) Blue Starcraft side counsil handlining head of mudd island somewhere.[/quote]

If I get the chance you might see me. My daughter left her cell out in Plymouth and I have to take her back to get it and then to the river if possible. Might even take the 14 footer out for the maden with the rebuilt reels from Bill Bell. No fishfider or any fancy stuff, just me and the dog..

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Willie Tippit said:
yeah back at ya we should talk a little more when were not so rushed to go fishing:lol:..how did your friends from dakota do??i saw you pulling fish a few times,and bout the wind tell me bout it in that boat it was bad,we lots way more than we caught as well...then came saturday even worst and there is some truth to the wind..we still were gettting lite bites saturday..just took awhile to get a few in the boat...cya out there again sometime,maybe not this weekend tho....Good Luck Mark..
We had the 4 guys from South Dakota and 2 guys from Owosso to entertain for the weekend. My father even made the trip down from Mio. It is nice to see my dad sice I do not see him as much when he lived down state.

My best bud Aaron had two of the south dak guys on his boat. They did 15 fish friday night. Aaron's father and brother had the other 2 South Dak guys on his boat and they did 14 on friday as well.

My friends of from Owosso jumped board my boat with my father and I. We managed to put 8 nice eaters in the cooler. And lost a few more at the back of the boat. The guys from Owosso never handlined before so they were at a slight disadvantage. They had the program down much better for saturday though.

The wind really changed things up for saturday. Two boats got their limits. 4 to 5 fish was the norm for the rest of us.

It is really nice to have a few people in the boat to rotate on the reels. Catch one and let someone else in, much better than fishing myself or with a partner. It was nice to spend a couple hours out than an hour or so. :)

I am not going to mention a specific spot but, I saw you pick a fish or two up in tight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts