Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this boat? I am looking at a 2007 model. Wondering if I should upgrade the motor from a 90 ELPTO to a 115 or 125 Optimax. Any other comments good or bad on the Lowe brand would be appreciated too.

Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
I am not familiar with this particular boat. If you an afford to I would ALWAYS upgrade the power. 90 seems a little light for an 18 foot boat (even aluminum)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Upgrade if you can. Otherwise you will kick yourself later. ( I love spending other peoples money).:D
Mark

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I have a sea-nymph which is currently now Lowe. Not a bad ride, but there are better. It all depends on the budget and what the boat will be used for. The 115 or 125 will push that boat nicely. Probably hit the mid 40's with the 125.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tubejig said:
I have a sea-nymph which is currently now Lowe. Not a bad ride, but there are better. It all depends on the budget and what the boat will be used for. The 115 or 125 will push that boat nicely. Probably hit the mid 40's with the 125.
Walleye and Perch fishing. Jigging, Trolling harnesses, crank baits, planer boards.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
This about identical to mine except that its not new. LOL!! Its plenty of boat for 2 people, I just have to pick my days out there. I would say that warranty should not be a problem with these guys. They gave me two new covers for the back corners after I lost one by being an idiot at the dock. Thats pretty good customer service for not owning a "Lowe". I am no way saying that are the best boats out there but they will get the job done. I would buy one after the service that I received from them. If you want the name of the guy that helped me out I would be more than happy to pass it along.

http://loweboats.com/fishboats/fish-ski/FS175.html

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I love my lowe FM 165. Its plenty of boat for smaller inland lakes as well as keeping up on Erie and the DR. I only have a 16.5 with a 50 hp that runs 34 mph. I personally dont think the upgrade would serve you much.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Looks like a nice ride! I would probably upgrade to a 115. Galvanized trailer and the larger electric motor. Other than that, looks like it will be a keeper!

BTW have you checked out the Alumacrafts? I am a very (and I do mean VERY) happy Lund owner and wouldn't trade my Lunds for anything. But when I was looking for a boat, the Alumacrafts impressed me also.

Also, how much $$ are they asking?

Jim

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Matt, I have a 115 2/stroke on my 17'8" Princecraft.

Go big or stay home. I never wished I had less power. Especially if you're going to be fishing with Scott and running down from 9 Mile to the Delphine this fall.:evilsmile

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
don't bother with optijunk. we run my 1930 lowe just fine on 90 hp. we also run a 16.5 2006 lowe on a 50 merc.
i'd opt for a 90 e-tec 2 stroke or a yammie 4 stroke(the honda ain't bad either). unless you want to go 40+ 90 is plenty of power and gas. remember that lowe is one of the lightest boats on the market.it doesnt take much to push it unless you or your buddies are extra large.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
(If I'm not mistaken) the floors on the Lowe are made of aluminum and not marine grade plywood. I like that for obvious reasons.

One of the things I noticed on my uncles boat (a Princecraft I think) is the lack of foot space in the front area when sitting in the seat. I like to sit while I jig the river. His seat was so close to the bow that it was uncomfortable trying to operate the trolling motor.

BTW, he has a 90hp Mercury and it moved us just fine (3 adults and my son + gear).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 2000 Starcraft Superfiserman196. The boat is 19'10" and 8'5" beam. I have a 90 HP 4 stroke Mercury, I can troll at 2.0 -2.1 with out a plate, bags etc. Top speed empty is above 35 and fully loaded above 30. I use a 15 pitch prop. My boat is heavy, 54 gal fuel tank, 90 gallons total live well, and tons of storage. I would think a 90 would push a lighter boat nicely. I have never liked kicker motors, four strokes Idle at under 500 rpm, 2 strokes above 700. More RPM at Idle = faster trolling speeds, period.
My merc has never seen a wrench, and gets tons of use, fishing, trolling and pulling the kids on a tube.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Have as much motor as possible for these Great Lakes Matt. Get whatever you want, just make sure that you get it in a Walk Thru!:lol: I'm gonna show you some tricks and tips in Oct and Nov. and we're gonna be catching more Walleyes than you've ever seen. And it's gonna be cold.:tdo12: Believe me, you want that cover and protection of a full windshield. Heck with that Side console stuff.:lol: Have I steered you wrong so far? Just trust me.;)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Go w/ the biggest motor you can afford. I bought a 18' Lund right before I got married. My wife to be only had a few request for the boat and that left little room for the bigger motor. I have a 90hp and it does ok but I ALWAYS wish I had spent the coin and went w/ the larger hp.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i got a 17'6 fm with a 90 jonhson the hull can handle a 115 the 90 pushes just me in the boat at full speed 48 on gps with myself and my buddy andy and the two live wells rear and front full it did 42 that is full throtle which was plenty fast for me but if i bought the boat new id have got the largest available.I look at it this way is that unless i hade a four stroke im not gonna troll with it and i like to get their.also the resale value will be a little higher in the end for you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
double trouble said:
don't bother with optijunk.
I agree w/ most people here that you will want the 115 hp. But, I would stay away from the Optimax as I know two people that have had reoccuring power head problems with them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts