Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on what to plant on a couple clearcuts? Probably 10 yards wide by 100 yards long. The clearcuts go right through mature timber stands, however there is currently some type of grass (1-2' high) growing now which is why I'm hoping some sort of attractive food source might be able to be planted there and thrive in lowlight conditions.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
cscott, I've got white clover growing under a power line that has done well and I doubt if its 10 yds wide. It was no-till seeded early one spring and I frost seed thin spots each Feb/Mar. The key IMO is to get the fertility level up on that clear cut ground. I have also have put winter wheat in narrow strips (6-8ft) with good results. Both situations have limited light.

Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just wondering if you came up with anything I have almost the exact situation I have got they lane cleared out and ready to till just wasnt sure what to plant because of the low light issue

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I did try some alice white clover along with winter rye last fall. The clover didn't perform well at all for me, however the rye was phenomenal. However, I don't think I went heavy enough with the clover. Here's a couple pictures of it. The first is hard to see through the trees, but it is the most shaded area. I planted winter rye on 9/11 I think and it was all 3-4" tall by late October. The second two pictures are more open, but when I planted it was a lot shadier while the canopy was still leafed-out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Call Southern Michigan Seed in Decatur, (SMS), they are carrying a clover that is supposed to be very low light tolerant, Durana clover I believe it's called, ask for Dave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts