Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Low Fat Minnow

2907 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Allen Morgan
Tie this up today, in Bluegill colors. Size 3/0 circle hook. LMBs and Pike beware!

Pollinator Insect Arthropod Butterfly Moths and butterflies
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I saw recently the Fly Fish Food guys tying these up in smaller sizes and called them "Baby Fat Minnow" but they've been tying bait patterns.

Good looking flies!
Yeah, I've seen that as well. I want to tie some of those myself. I don't have any Buiser Blend Jr. dubbing. I could order some (I've ordered over $200's worth of materials from them this Summer), but I'm trying to cut back. Might just get the regular Bruiser Blend out, preen it out, cut it in half, then preen it back into itself again.
Why use a circle hook? They are designed for using bait that gets swallowed. Then, slowly reeled until the point sets into the corner of the jaw. Think catfish.

You might consider using a hook with a needle point or a cutting point in the future if you're stripping a streamer for predatory fish.
Size 3/0 circle hook.
You guys have a recommendation on recipes and tying instructions for the Low Fat Minnow? Anything that works well in Michigan rivers, if you could recommend? I'm a beginner fly tier. Able to fumble my way through some wet flies in sizes 12-18. Looking at tying some different patterns like the Low Fat Minnow.
Here is a video with tying instructions.

I would check out Gunner Brammer's Youtube channel if I were you if you want to learn about tying streamers. He and many others make pretty good instructional videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTardyDuck1
You guys have a recommendation on recipes and tying instructions for the Low Fat Minnow?
I'm actually a reformed Catfish guy (started chasing Striped Bass and White Bass) :) I have A LOT of circle hooks in my inventory. The fly pictured was a one-off that I did, with the intention of proving/disproving a theory. Circle hooks work by catching in the corner of the fish's mouth as they swim away with the bait, and the line comes tight and the pole loads up. I tied up a bunch of Belly-Scratcher Minnows on Gama B10S hooks. I've caught a couple fish on them, but have actually watched as a fish takes the fly, and miss the hookset. I am hoping that using a Circle hook means more hookups and less missed strikes. Of course, I have yet to actually fish that fly.

PunyTrout, you may be completely correct as well. I also fish a lot of inline spinnerbaits (I assemble my own), as well as jigs on jig-spinner frames. None of those use circle hooks, but I hardly ever miss a strike, as the line it already tight with the fish hits, and it's an almost instant hookset.
Why use a circle hook? They are designed for using bait that gets swallowed. Then, slowly reeled until the point sets into the corner of the jaw. Think catfish.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.