Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Saw some mild pushing on October 7 th as well just young deer...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
43 Posts
Something definitely happens now that kicks off prime scraping time. Whether there is a false estrus or some type of cue, I can't say for sure but the behavior on your video seems to show that may be true. We have had good luck at this time of year hunting in woods scrape lines, when moon and weather cooperate.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Some may not understand, but I enjoyed the fall colors more than the deer. Thanks for posting.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saw some mild pushing on October 7 th as well just young deer...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Yes, Mike. I see it regularly back here. From the day these little guys shed velvet they start chasing and harassing doe families. All just jr. high level antics.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for posting the video... looks like you have a new antagonist that is stalking your posts! :banghead:

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
It comes with the territory. He is a guy that takes hero shots with his buck trying to look like an Al Qaeda terrorist.:confused: Kool dude! :dizzy: Comes with being young, kinda like the young buck in the video. All hat no horse.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Something definitely happens now that kicks off prime scraping time. Whether there is a false estrus or some type of cue, I can't say for sure but the behavior on your video seems to show that may be true. We have had good luck at this time of year hunting in woods scrape lines, when moon and weather cooperate.
I have been watching this kind of stuff since mid September, and every year. Sometimes more frantic, sometimes less. With the yearlings, the chase starts the day they shed their velvet, and ends only when they are too tired to move. Has nothing to do with the breeding cycle, it is just sophomoric antics.

If there were anything real going on, there is a bachelor group of 4, including a 3.5 year old, that has been bedding back there pretty regularly, I would expect to see more bucks involved than just the one.

·
Registered
14,675 Posts
Yes, Mike. I see it regularly back here. From the day these little guys shed velvet they start chasing and harassing doe families. All just jr. high level antics.
First buck we saw Thursday night was a young guy. About five minutes after he went out of sight we could hear him grunting, followed shortly thereafter by a doe and fawn sprinting by us at warp speed.

Reminds me of a dog chasing a car - there's apparently some satisfaction in the process even though there's no likelihood of success :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts