Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello there....finally scored on a nice doe....she's at the processors right now. When I field dressed her, there must have been a 1/2 layer of fat on the old girl. I've heard that gives a good indication of the upcoming winter. If that's the case, we are really in for it!!!!!!:yikes: Anyone else getting the same results?

·
Registered
936 Posts
yep my binlaw and I both had lots of fat in our deer first time I ever seen it quite like that

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yup, I hav'nt personaly bagged one yet, but my brother had the same thing from a doe taken in Barry Co. a ton of fat!! Took alittle bit to get to those tasty :corkysm55 backstraps!! Tom

·
Registered
130 Posts
Buddy shot a spike 11/17 in Cheboygan county and yes lots of fat.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The doe I shot in early october had a lot more fat than usuall.

Now, is it due to a sever winter or the fact there are less deer and more food?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The bucks I shot had 0 fat on them. Wanted some for the bird feeder but there isn't any on them.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
tcmindy said:
Hello there....finally scored on a nice doe....she's at the processors right now. When I field dressed her, there must have been a 1/2 layer of fat on the old girl. I've heard that gives a good indication of the upcoming winter. If that's the case, we are really in for it!!!!!!:yikes: Anyone else getting the same results?
Someone should move this thread over the "Ice Fishing Forum"! Those guy's would love to read this post! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
tcmindy said:
It's a good indication of her eating well this fall, don't try to read a weather forecast into her layer of fat.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Would the HUGE acorn crop this season help to add the extra fat? If it is a sign of a harsh winter to come then I better get the power auger ready. LOL

·
Administrator
17,555 Posts
ted stehney said:
Would the HUGE acorn crop this season help to add the extra fat? If it is a sign of a harsh winter to come then I better get the power auger ready. LOL
BINGO to the bumper crop of acorns this year!

Is it a sign...?

Well, some say that the man upstairs does work in mysterious ways. I doubt that there is any scientific relevence to the "deer-fat" theory. However, there may be some indications from the powers that be that WE better get out our cold winter gear! :( <----<<<

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The bucks on our place.....especially the larger ones, had zero fat on them....none inside by the kidneys and no reserves along the back....the does on the other hand were loaded up pretty good with fat.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I believe the reason that the bucks don't have a lot of fat is because they burn most of it during the chase phase of the rut. The does are still eating at this time, unless of course they are the ones being chased.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The buck I shot had 0 fat too, you couldn't find any anywhere...I think he probably did a good job of passing on his genes before he met me.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I shot 2 bucks during bow season. The 5 point had normal fat deposits nothing excessive but it was also early, the 1st week of bow season. The 8 point I shot the first week of november had almost no fat on him. I took what I thought was a big doe last week. That was until I skinned her, when I was done cutting all the fat off her she didnt look that big anymore. She literally had over 2 inches of fat on top of the back straps. I have been shooting deer off this farm for 10 years and have never seen one with even half this much fat on her back. I have heard we had the biggest acorn crop in 50 years and that acorns help deer fatten up quicker thatn any other food source. Maybe thats the difference.

·
Premium Member
13,410 Posts
Caveat: I'm not a biologist...I read this stuff.

All whitetails accumulate fat during late summer and early fall even if their food sources are less than plentiful. It is a physiological characteristic that increases survivability during the winter months.

If their food sources are good...such as this year's bumper mast crop ...then they'll put on a little more than usual. But most every deer ...except perhaps rutting bucks...will have a blanket of fat surrounding most of their body by October.

That's what I think I know.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Well these might seem obvious but the reason does have more fat is because they do not burn the energy stores as much as the bucks, the later in the rut u shoot a buck, chances are he will have less fat. deer in general always put on extra fat before winter because of the fact that they have less energy sources available then(food) so they use this access fat supply when times are tough. they also get possibly an additonal benefit of fat by its insulating properties although I think this is not the cardinal reason for the excess fat stores. whether or not this is a sign of a tough and cold winter to come is a far reaching assumption. food sources become a priority once breeding declines for most bucks. better put on the weight while ya still can. sorry for being the master of the obvious just thought i would put all thoughts down in one post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts