Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I want to do a UP bow trip. We have no experience hunting the BIG WOODS. We mostly hunt river bottems, swamps and Ag fields because every square inch of flat and dry land in our area is farmed. We both are looking for a challenge and know that it will be one hell of an adventure.

A couple questions....

County's that would be best suited for a couple of UP rookies.

Scouting tactics for big woods hunting.

Pack in camp or close proximity camping.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
The Garden Peninsula probably has the better hunting numbers wise right now. There is a big piece of public land just east and north of Powers, MI that would be worth looking at. The Seney Federal Refuge area may be an option.

Scouting needs to concentrate on food and water sources. Find the oak trees this time of year. I wouldn't pack into a remote place. It's not hard to get into some wild country on the two tracks and maybe hike in a mile or so. Get maps, a hand held GPS and a compass. Don't blindly trust the GPS, know where you're at.

Mark the route into a hunting spot, but not right by a trail for everyone to find. Bright Eye's work great in the dark.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Area around Watson has a lot of timber and public land, lots of trails/roads winding around. Get a good plat map, there are some camps and private land also. Couple rivers winding through there too.

·
Registered
35,611 Posts
I used to strictly hunt public land in the UP. Hunt where food is. In the EUP that means finding clear cuts. A trip to the USFS office will get the info you need. In the WUP hardwoods dominate lots if the land scape. A trip to the local USFS office should get you the info you need finding mast producing oaks. Red oaks seem to dominate the landscape compared to white oaks. Lots of the federal land has been cut so old logging roads abound providing you access and ready made trails. Red oaks produce ever other year so boots on the ground will be required for finding deer. Good luck and don't let the 6 million acres of public ground intimidate you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would suggest you wet your feet and go in the off season. Where I am from in the West central U.P. you have the Ottawa National forest and of course a bunch of State Forest bordering it. No matter where you choose to go I again would suggest you go in the off season. Check it out, go to the local DNR office and do some asking. Good Luck!

·
Banned
7,550 Posts
A buddy and I want to do a UP bow trip. We have no experience hunting the BIG WOODS. We mostly hunt river bottems, swamps and Ag fields because every square inch of flat and dry land in our area is farmed. We both are looking for a challenge and know that it will be one hell of an adventure.

A couple questions....

County's that would be best suited for a couple of UP rookies.

Scouting tactics for big woods hunting.

Pack in camp or close proximity camping.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ontanagon ewin area. Find hay fields and trails going to them. But knock on some doors.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We hunter for years south of feltch, lots of paper land there, find fresh clear cuts, chain saws r like a dinner bell to whitetails, wished our groupe still hunted up the, the woods r beautiful up there

Sent from my ADR6400L using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Ontanagon ewin area. Find hay fields and trails going to them. But knock on some doors.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Hey BH, how is the area now? I used to hunt near Ewen until the wovles took over. Haven't been up there in about 10 years. Drove threw 3 years ago and the locals in Bergland still said it was tough. We're they trying to keep me away or is it still tough up there?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great info. Our plan is to hunt the area of the Sult Ste. Marie state forest. Would rather hunt further west but with two young kids at home and a busy work schedule we would be spending more time in the truck instead of the woods. Wish i had the time in the off season to do a scouting trip. Maybe someday but for now I have to make due with what I'm delt. Not sure if the dates but leaning towards the last week of October.

·
Registered
35,611 Posts
Since you are hunting the EUP stop at the USFS office on US-2 st. Ignace and request a color copy of the clear cuts. The Soo office closed down so don't wait go to that one. The cuts are shown in red. Have them show you the cuts that are about 5 years old. You won't be disappointed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts