Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
He made a good decision. Stay put and make shelter. A small day pack with some provisions etc would have made the night a little more comfortable.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Yep made the correct choice IMHO. I have been lost at dusk one time and was not prepaired for it. I paniced started second guessing. I was underdressed for the weather and in my panic got wet feet. I was lucky that I fould the trail and the rest of my group. What I should have done was sit down and calm down. I have never been in the woods unprepaired to spend the night after that and since then when I got turned around I sat down calmed down and figured it out.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I guess you never know when something like this is going to happen.Kind of makes you think about the times that you got "TURNED AROUND" in the woods.......

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Ive been turned around twice both times hunting land for the first time. Once by myself witch I never will do again, and another with 2 others that waited way too long to get out, and I always leave at sunset now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by snakebit67
It happens to the best of us, glad he is ok
I've been disoriented, cold, and wet. But thank goodness, I was always able to find my way out before dark. Nowadays I won't leave my truck without my GPS, my FRS or my backpack with food, water, dry socks and dry matches. Never. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I got lost once while deer hunting. That was enough for me.

Bought an eTrex Legend and haven't been worried since.
http://planetgps.net/grm1015.html

My buddy thought it was great fun to harass me about losing my woodsman skills by relying on it. Ha! I use it to help me when I need it. Last 11/15, I walked him right to his stand at 5:30am.....he couldn't find it. I don't let him forget about that whenever he gets on his anti-technology tirades.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts