Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Lost Dogs

2K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Big Game 
#1 ·
LOST - 2 male Walker Hounds
Saturday March 27th Big Game and I were hunting near the intersection of Oscoda, Ogemaw, and Roscommon Counties.
An over-eager male got out of the box without a retrieval collar, the other male still out is wearing a blue retrieval collar in 217 frequency.
I discovered the magnet for that collar is "dead", so the collar is prolly drained and dead as well. We cannot get a signal and we covered tens of thousands of acres.
Last dog picked up had quills, so these 2 may also and may not want a stranger to catch them to read their nameplates.
If seen or heard of please let me know any info you get.

Both are tri colored, not much tan trim though - just on heads. The average non-houndsman often mistakes them for beagles even though they are so big.
Both are medium sized hounds, 50-60 lbs range.

THANK YOU!

#6 ·
As of 3:00 this afternoon the dog in the picture has been found. Kevin was heading up to Mio to pick it up. We think the other dog may still be in the area also. It is a little more timid than the other dog and may just not have come into the guy that picked up Trooper. I'll know more later.

#7 ·
Thats Cool That You Found One............... i Really Hope You Find The Other....... I Know How You Feel About Loosing A Friend And Hunting Partner...

#11 ·
Yeah Kevin checked with all the dog pounds and I checked one on my way down to look for them on Tuesday. They had collars with name plates on them and that is how the guy got the number for the one dog. We didn't leave a coat or anything in the area we turned out. The problem was that Kevin lives about 2 hrs south of Mio and I live 2 hrs north. Even if we had left something there I'm sure they would have wondered off before we got back there. We lost them on Saturday morning and looked all weekend. Then Kevin and I met back in the area on Tuesday and looked again. There is still one dog out as far as I know, so hopefully it turns up. Thanks again guys for the concern.

#23 ·
My wife and I where up in the Mio area for a long weekend at our cottage. She field trials setters in the grouse woods and while working our dogs this weekend we notice a few areas have been posted by the National Forest Service that traps have been set by them to eliminate nuisance animals. You might want to check to see if any traps where set in the areas adjacent to where you released your dogs. We where pretty careful about making sure our dogs where always in sight after seeing the posted sign in the first area.

Good luck I hope you find them.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.