Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may know I hunt a small property. I do my best to hunt it correctly while other family members do not.

Over the past week my trail cam pictures stopped sending pictures which was odd, usually I get a few deer every day/night. I got a picture of a squirrel yesterday so I know it worked.

So I head out this morning and freeze my butt off. My uncle texts me that he going to cut some down ash trees and let me know when I'm done hunting. Ummm it is still deer season?!? But what ever, my uncle will do what he wants to do.

I see nothing while hunting and then I on my out notice freshly cut wood only 30 yards from our food plots. As I'm packing up he is pulling in. I ask him if he was cutting wood already and he said "yes, I started last weekend and I almost have a logging trail to the other side of the property line." :sad: :rant: He already has at least 8 face chords already stacked next to the road.

He then goes on to say the deer are in the corn fields and other properties and they are not around here. OH REALLY!? The other hunters on the property and I have taken 4 deer already with the corn up by hunting it correctly and not screwing around on the property. I have passed on plenty of deer this year which in years past I would of filled my tags with.

He then adds he going to fix up his ground blind that is on the other side of the property next to the sanctuary. So he going to tromp across 90% of the wood lot. :rant: :rant: You could fix up that ground blind in the summer? :rant:

He has already taken 2 does on other properties and is trying to get a "big buck". Good luck! So in less than 2 weeks he has blown up the property. :rant:

All the hard work this spring and summer, food plots, hinge cuts, hanging stands, access trails, etc are all pointless for the rest of the year. :rant:

As a hunter I would think he would wait until gun season was over. It was just a week and a half to wait. The down ash trees aren't going anywhere.

Thanks for letting me vent, the joys of sharing with family. Time to get a real-estate agent and find my own place.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
So u and buddies have taken 4 deer already and uncle has taken 2 does....total 6 deer. Is it your property? or uncles?

Your ready to bag it after u harvested 6 deer from the property?!? Maybe it is time to for a real estate agent for you. Large deer have consumed you, both mind, body, and soul.

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So u and buddies have taken 4 deer already and uncle has taken 2 does....total 6 deer. Is it your property? or uncles?

Your ready to bag it after u harvested 6 deer from the property?!? Maybe it is time to for a real estate agent for you. Large deer have consumed you, both mind, body, and soul.
I knew it would take long for the hate the come back at me. Read what I wrote again.

I just want to see deer. I don't have to kill a big deer, heck I have never killed a big deer. We are seeing NO deer now.

He has hunted on 2 other properties and killed 2 does.

The other three hunters have killed 4 deer on the this property and kept seeing deer while doing it.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
You cut that much timber down around my parts right now, the deer are in the tops browsing like fleas!

What do you consider small property? 4-5 guys hunting!

no hate.

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The deer could care less about chain saw noise and cutting. If a saw is running they know they are not in danger. If you try sneaking through the woods they will pick up on that in a second and bust out of there. If anything it will draw them in out of curiosity to check out the tree tops and trees moved around.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Examples like this are perfect reasons and motivation to try and get exclusive access to a property. It definitely sucks when stuff like this happen.

I am in the same boat as you and will be doing a lot of door knocking this spring.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The deer could care less about chain saw noise and cutting. If a saw is running they know they are not in danger. If you try sneaking through the woods they will pick up on that in a second and bust out of there. If anything it will draw them in out of curiosity to check out the tree tops and trees moved around.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ive ben kinda dealing with the same thing at my dads, We had everything set up nice, Right where we watned all the stands/blinds, It seems like everytime i go out there he has moved a stand 3 trees over, Put burlap around one of my ladder stands which he put so high to where I cant even shoot over it.. Put a bunch of sticks in and around a hang on stand to where with my gear on I cant even fit between the sticks and the bottom of the stand to get in it, Even if i could get in it, I wouldnt because of the difficulty of getting out in the dark...

Everytime I talk to him on the phone he tells me about spooking deer off my bait when he was walking the dog... :rant: WHY ARE YOU WALKING THE DOG BY MY BAIT PILE! Just drives me crazy, We went from seeing deer every day to what seems like never, I think he has spooked them by screwing around so much that they are only coming out during the night and dead smack in the middle of the day..

So, Insted of hunting a 7, 8 and 11 pointers that I know bed on my dads property ive been stuck going to a state land down the street

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Patman, i hunt on a small piece of property...really small. about one acre is huntable out of a 5 acre parcel. we cut trees, clean leaves, power wash pole barns, ride 4 wheelers and other property work. heck we even practice shooting our bows in the plot. we have killed 3 bucks this year. nephew shot a 1.5 spike, son shot a 2.5 8, and i shot a 3.5 8 this year and eleven total the last three years. we gut them 100 yards from the plot.
if your uncle gives it just a bit of time to cool down you can still have a great season, and honestly you kinda already are.
dont throw in the towel yet. shot my eight last saturday, and watched a five in the same spot on tuesday. good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Been there. Unfortunately you wont be happy until you own your own land and can manage it the way you want. Some don't appreciate all the hard work and planning that goes into it. Deer is obviously on the low end of his priorities. I'm not sure that I would be putting as much emphasis on the habitat work if there not on the same page.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry to hear about this I would be pissed too but theirs nothib you can do except tell ur uncle how it is. I've been there before I'm not gonna feed u with that "it won't hurt nothing" bs because idc what you say it does. A deer can sit in your woods or somewhere else and if theirs a chainsaw running and dead treea falling every few days its common sense that they will go somewhere else I mean yeah they will be back but its smack dab during season theirs not any time to let the woods calm down. Just my opinion I could be wrong that's just how I feel about it and always have.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Gotta love gun season!!! Brings out the best....
Get ready even when u get your own land the neighbors will keep you entertained!! Trust me on that one done it ...living it.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
good luck patman... I know how hard it is to get a nice piece of property to hunt in Northern Macomb county. Sucks. The property I have hunted for the last 8 years has just become overrun with pop up blinds, new box blind ect... Old farmer owns the land and says "yes" to anyone who knocks on his door... I have nowhere to hunt now unless I head out combat hunting on state land. Bummer. My season is over as well. I have all day Friday and Saturday to wish I was hunting...

Jeff

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Don't rule out public land. There's plenty of it to explore and deer to be had. Yeah, it can suck during regular firearm season, when anyone with any old gun wanders around out there. But once Dec rolls around, many guys have given up hunting for the year. You'll still have some company but it's not nearly as bad as Nov 15-30.

Once we get a couple inches of snow deer will shift food sources again. Areas that had few deer will now have several and vise versa. Deer will start using areas they were pressured out of earlier in the season. Snow on the ground also makes it easier to find the deer, especially when exploring new areas. Bounce around until you find fresh tracks and then figure out where to set up. You don't have to be in a treestand or a blind to kill a deer!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Im in the same boat but im probably in even worse. I have a property that I hunt and the people went in there with a bunch of excavators and plowed out half of the woods and kept everything there all season. Didn't see a single deer there. Good thing I have other options.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Sorry to hear about this I would be pissed too but theirs nothib you can do except tell ur uncle how it is. I've been there before I'm not gonna feed u with that "it won't hurt nothing" bs because idc what you say it does. A deer can sit in your woods or somewhere else and if theirs a chainsaw running and dead treea falling every few days its common sense that they will go somewhere else I mean yeah they will be back but its smack dab during season theirs not any time to let the woods calm down. Just my opinion I could be wrong that's just how I feel about it and always have.
yes thats what i beleive also big bucks aren't going to hang around with humans present that often.we don't disturb our derr at all and still when they hear loud noises they are on alert.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts