Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for about 10-20 acres within a couple hours or so from the flint area. Would like rustic cabin on property. Family just started hunting last year, myself, wife and 2 kids. Just want a place to get away where the kids can hunt. (they are not old enough to hunt state land for deer).
Land contract would be ideal - we've got $10k cash to put down.

Please let me know if you or anyone you know has something available. Willing to look at properties that dont quite meet our hopes.

Thank you-
Chris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I am constantly looking at land, im obsessed with it. I have noticed that land around the Harrison area can still be found relativley cheap. Nothing like 4 or 5 years ago but there are some great deals right now up that way. Not sure how good the hunting is but it may be a good starting point for you. Good luck on your search !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for about 10-20 acres within a couple hours or so from the flint area. Would like rustic cabin on property. Family just started hunting last year, myself, wife and 2 kids. Just want a place to get away where the kids can hunt. (they are not old enough to hunt state land for deer).
Land contract would be ideal - we've got $10k cash to put down.

Please let me know if you or anyone you know has something available. Willing to look at properties that dont quite meet our hopes.

Thank you-
Chris
As far as finding cheaper land and the rustic log cabin the further north the better. onenationhere is dead on, Harrison would be a very good bet, my uncle has a cabin on 15 acres got it for $80,000. Now as far as hunting quality there's deer but nothing like the southern part of the state from personal experience and what my friends and family have experienced. For the hunting aspect of this property it depends on what you're looking for. Jackson, Hillsdale, Eaton, Barry, Calhoun, and Washtenaw, my opinion have been some of the best potential to see good herd numbers and for that potential to shoot a pretty decent buck. I haven't hunted outside of Jackson or Washtenaw for 5 years. But from what friends tell me they still are getting some nice deer out of their properties.

The further north you go the less deer you may see depending on where but typically the deer numbers are not as good compared to southern counties. However, hunting in the northern part of the LP or even the UP is a lot of fun. It feels like a true deer camp when you hunt in those areas.

Another thing to consider is neighbors, before buying anything talk to the neighbors! I can not stress this enough. Just a simple introduction I found I could get a pretty good read on people. I will even ask them about hunting, one reason is you can get find out how the hunting is in the area and two you can also listen to see how they hunt. You may find that they are managing the deer herd and the hunting is great or on the other hand they shoot everything that moves and the hunting isn't good.

Overall there's just a lot of factors to consider. Price, location, deer herd, trophy potential, neighbors, etc. Just depends all depends on what exactly you are looking for.

I hope this helps with your search and good luck!

·
Registered
36,082 Posts
Have you considered joining a club? Check out Lost Lake Woods Club. Your family can stay at the club house or camp in the camp grounds or purchase a cottage in the subdivision. Full time security staff. Inexpensive dues and taxes.

There is something for the kids and wife to do. ~10,000 acres of hunting land, golf course, beach, tennis court,horseback riding, kids golf camp, skeet, trap, sporting clays, pheasant shoots, multiple fishing lakes about 2-1/2 hours from Flint.
http://www.lostlakewoodsclub.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts