Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering at this time of year when scouting for fox and yote sign where do you all start? There is a foot of snow on the ground so that has got to be making it harder on them.
Are you seeing any tracks recently?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Brandon,

If I was cold rolling in to an area this time of the year. I would be heading towards any creek bottom that is thick and has sign of rabbits or mice. Now keeping a trap working in this weather will be time consuming and a real pain. I would be setting snares this time of the year once you found coyote sign.

Now in the fall. Coyotes can be just about anywhere. Once again if I was cold rolling into an area. I would be looking for crop changes farmlanes intersecting crop changes, sand blows are great animal attracters. Know you would really have a good place if there was a sand blow with a little cover with a farmlane running on one side with a crop change in front of the sand blow, water is also a good place to start ( Farm ponds, ditches). That is a good start, but noway should this limit you.

Dave

·
Registered
673 Posts
the deep snow can also make it harder for you to identify tracks. it is easier for snow to fall into them, especially if it is nice and fluffy. like dave said look for rabbits or mice sign too. also i have noticed that a lot of the times if you find good deer trails through the woods then there will probably be coyotes using the same trails. if they dont have to walk through the deep snow they wont. also look for tracks on roads and any place where there is less snow and easier walking. learn what pattern a coyote or fox walks in compared to a deer so if tracks have snow that fell in them you can still tell the difference. coyote and fox tracks are almost in a straight line.

good luck, dave

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about traditional turkey grounds. Do they spend much time stalking the turkeys?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
This time of the year if I was limited to one area to look for fox and coyotes it would with out a doubt be any marshy area I could find. Marshy areas at this time of the year will have more canines working them than any other area where they are present. I trap a large public land marsh in the winter for rats. When the water is open you will find canine sign in the traditional spots like where the flood dikes intersect and such. Once the marsh freezes that is where you will find them. I have seen trails that look like deer trails padded down with fox and coyote tracks. The marsh offers them everything they need at this time of the year food and shelter being the two biggest.
During the fall a favorite spot of mine is where a drainage ditch runs close to woods or fence row forming a funnel between the two. This is a dynamite location for canines and coon as well. Don't overlook where a farm lane crosses a drainage ditch if there is only one such crossing every canine that passes through the area will use it at some point. If there are multiple crossing I will usually set the one closes to another travel way such as a fence row intersecting the ditch or grown up weed line doing the same.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts