Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own 45 acres in Cheboygan county. Basic layout is square, the north boundry is the road, west side is a sq. 40, east is rectangle 65, south side is a 4500(yeah thats right) that is hunted by 6. My property is heavy with poplar, some beach, nice ribbon of pines with some low ground with cranberries. Last Feb. I had about 10 acres cut, the major portion of the cutting was 1 block that went from the SE corner almost to the SW corner. Stopped short because of the White pine grove there. I had the loggers put their access road right down my east boundry.

Now that I've caught this disease from you guys:yikes: , I see this access road as a food plot waiting to happen. I would like to make the main focus of this plot to be spring green up or earliest possible feed. The reason for this is the very first time my neighbor from the east came over and saw the cutting, his comment was "I think I better put a blind over in that corner, this is going to be great!":banghead3 So I do not want this plot to be anything for the fall, but our deer need all the help they can get in the spring. What can I put in that will be great in the spring, but won't be much for the neighbors to hunt next to?

Thanks for the help, and hey, thanks for the disease.

· Registered
164 Posts
Plant some conifers to block your neighbors' view. I would use at least two or three rows. Pines grow faster, but eventually loose their bottom limbs, so people can see under them. Spruce hold their bottom limbs longer. Maybe plant two rows of each!!

· Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sandbur3 said:
Plant some conifers to block your neighbors' view. I would use at least two or three rows. Pines grow faster, but eventually loose their bottom limbs, so people can see under them. Spruce hold their bottom limbs longer. Maybe plant two rows of each!!
The Spruce got planted last year already!;) I'm looking for something to put in the roadway that will provide feed early in the year.

· Registered
41,431 Posts
"I think I better put a blind over in that corner, this is going to be great!"
I agree with your neighbor, put a blind in that corner. That should put him down wind of you effectively cutting him off. The downside is that you formed an inside corner that he will benefit from.

What kind of soil do you have? The correct answer to your question can depend on the make up of your soil. Have you gone to your conservation district office and requested a soils map along with the soil index? This information will give you the soil type and a generalization of what it's best suited for. I highly recommend a visit to your local office.

The more information you supply the better the advice you'll receive from experienced food plotters. General question may result in answers that are not suited for your specific needs. I'll recommend ladino clover to anyone with silty loam to clay soil.

BTW, your choice of spruce trees is a good choice. The ones planted on my land about 10 years ago are about 15' tall and effectively block my neighbor view of one of my plots.

· Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luv2,
I pulled a soil sample last fall, PH is 5.2. The soil does vary from a decent sandy loam to mostly sandy. I do not have a soil index, yet.

Just for clarification, I do not believe this neighbor would shoot a deer on my property, but I don't want to encourage deer traffic along the boarder since he has made it clear that he is more than willing to hunt the edge and cut them off from me.

· Registered
65 Posts
If you can, go to the "Huntin' Times Expo" in Grand Rapids or Birch Run and attend Tony LaPlatts seminar. I learned a lot about where, how and what to plant.

· Registered
3,055 Posts
We planted some beans and they just mowed them down in a week or so. There was nothing left so we had to replant it. That was all in june or so.

Redneckman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.