Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to start talking to a realtor as Im planning on moving to st.clair county along I-94 come spring time. I currently live in Northern Monroe county and work in warren. I am hoping that I can sell my house in the spring and purchase a home in the country with at least 5 acres of woods that I can hunt from. I am considering Casco, Ira township, all the way to Marysville and Smiths Creek. If any of you guys know of a realtor that has knowledge of hunting in the st. clair county area please let me know. All input is welcome along with ideas from you guys and advice.. ie places to avoid and where you would recommend going? Thanks for all your input

·
Registered
36,028 Posts
Between now and the time you select a realtor to deal with as an agent sit down an put together a priority list of your ideal hunting/home property. It will make everyone's job easier and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I live in St. Clair County, near 32mile (Fred Moore Hwy) and I94, and have been looking at homes in the area for the past year and a half(although not specifically with the intent of finding one with hunting property).

I will say that Inventory is very, very low in the area and that what is on the market around here is either an overpriced fixer-upper or just plain overpriced. Not sure what your budget is going to be but you should set your sights realistically. It may change between now and the time you start looking but unless the stock market takes another big tumble you can expect to be buying high right now.

A lot of the area between where you are talking about - Marysville and south towards Ira/Casco - it is difficult to find homes with more than a handful of acres for a reasonable price. Also, the closer you get to suburban areas (New Baltimore, Chesterfield) the higher the premium you will be paying on those homes as everyone seems to want to live near a suburban hub these days.

I am biased but I prefer St. Clair, China Twp., and Columbus versus other areas in the southern part of St. Clair County. East China Schools are very good schools (if you have kids and are worried about that sort of thing). The town of St. Clair is also just a really nice place, with a decent amount of new activity and revitalization. We also really liked Marysville but it was just a bit too far North for us as both my Wife and I work in the city. If you are looking for larger plots of land for a little cheaper you will probably want to target much more rural areas. Almost everything directly outside city limits is going to be semi-rural with a lot of smaller, fragmented parcels anywhere from 1-10 acres, with a lot of agricultural land interspersed.

Finding a home for a reasonable price with 5 acres is probably going to be a tall order around here. So much so that we stopped looking for a house that was reasonably priced and just bought land (4 acres) through auction and are now preparing to build.

As far as working with realtors in St. Clair County I have worked with a few out of St. Clair, MI and have stopped working with them for one reason or the other. In the end they are not actually trying to help me find a house they are simply the only ones with access to the lockboxes on the homes. Good luck finding one that actually knows anything about hunting - they're there to sell homes not hunting property. Don't even get me started on the hunting property services.

The best realtor I have worked with is a guy out of New Baltimore named Steve Lawson. Very attentive and knowledgable about homes and also the area. His core area is NE Macomb Co. and South St. Clair Co. but i've had him out a bunch of times to look at homes as far north as Marysville. More importantly, he seemed to network frequently and know all of the other realtors in the area so he was often able to call a realtor up and dig up more information about a property or home than what was listed or maybe not obvious.

Feel free to PM me too - I'd be happy to answer any other questions about living / hunting in the area. I've lived out here for over 15 years and have been diligently hunting it for the last 5. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts