Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new pup this spring. Thinking of getting a lab for grouse hunting. Just wondering is there anything i should look out for when looking at buying one? Any kind of tests or ways you can tell they are gunna be a good dog when they're that young? And also what is the best way to break them into hunting? This is gunna be my first dog so i wanna have an idea how to start it. Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
I'm willing to bet someone on this site has/will have a dog available for you. And there will be a handful of people who will be a testament to this guy's/gal's dog.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Well there is a lot to look into. I think a good lab is a great choice for a first time dog owner.

I would suggest you buy some books right now and start your reserach. I researched for close to a year to find my second lab. I had a really specific type of dog in mind though.

Couple things - meet the parents - try and see them work. Ask for the references, I like to try and call pro trainers who have had dogs in - they seem to be more honest cause everyone thinks there dog is perfect.

Right off the top.

A repeat breeding is best if you can find one.

A must is HIP OFA good or better through out a 5 generation pedigree.

A bonus is Clear Eyes and CERF Elbows.

I prefer small labs, I think they live longer and are healthier than the larger variety.

If I were you I would go and out and purchase:

Game Dog by Wolters, I would also look at the books Bass Hole Suggests.

If you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
:yeahthat:

Just be sure to do your research before you jump into it. There are a lot of different types of labs out there and you will be happiest if you find one that fits you and what you want to use it for correctly. At such a young age there are no real tests you can do it is more the lines that the dogs come out of. Do your research and you will not be dissapointed.

As said I am sure there will be dogs on this site when you are ready but that does not mean they will be the right dog for you. Read read read and ask as many questions as you can and you will end up with the right pup for you.
Ric

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a friend that has a setter pup for sale right now. And also has some comeing in the spring if interested. Also has started dogs. They Have Great grouse hunting lines and are easy to train. I also could help in training if your in the area as i will be getting another pup here soon. Ive hunted behind them plenty of times and can attest they are great grouse dogs. You can see some of them at www.dunrovenkennels.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts