Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering adding another dog to the family in the next year or so. The boss lady would like a dog that is smaller than the griffs and really likes the looks of the red setters.
It will probably kill me to hunt behind a pretty dog but she gets what she wants one way or another!;)
Any thoughts on kennels or different places to look at testing or breeding info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Don't know how much you've looked into these yet but if you're new Look to the field bred setters. I can't help you on MI breeders but I can point you to some others that have some nice dogs.

Brophy's setters I thinkare in Illinois and are nice dogs. And also Conneaut Creek Setters her in Ohio, near me. Al Fazenbacher owns the latter and they produce some very nice dogs. I watched some at a trial here recently and was very impressed! I've also seen the Brophy dogs first hand and they're a nice dog. The ONLY drawback is that they are very difficult to see in the brush!

There are a few other very solid breeders and there may be some dogs in MI but these are breeders I've had first hand exposure to.

http://www.nrsftc.com/ConneautCreek/

http://brophysirishsetters.com/

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. This is the first setter I have look into. I plan on taking my time and find exactly what we want. I am not really into trials, but would probably test the dog in NAVDHA as that is my preferred addiction. I do not want a long haired show dog. It must be a good family dog and out of hunting stock.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks guys. This is the first setter I have look into. I plan on taking my time and find exactly what we want. I am not really into trials, but would probably test the dog in NAVDHA as that is my preferred addiction. I do not want a long haired show dog. It must be a good family dog and out of hunting stock.

I believe VC Berg Bros. Augie was the first Red Setter champion in NAVHDA.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Here is your best resource: http://www.nrsftc.com/

Breeders: http://www.nrsftc.com/breeders.htm

You couldn't go wrong with Al Fazenbaker at Conneaut Creek, Paul Ober at Celtic Kennels, Roger Boser at Bearcar Setters, The Bergs at Ironfire Setters, or Scott Berg at Berg Bros Setters. There are obviosuly more options, but I haven't had any personal contact with the others.

Make sure you clear with your expectations and what you would like to do with the dog. These guys know their dogs, and what venue they would excel in. There is a big red setter trial coming in Ky. That would be a great way to see a lot dogs.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8 Shot how much smaller than a Griff are they?

I am not sure on the sizes yet. I have seen setters listed close to 40lbs and up from there. My male Rye is roughly 70lbs and Gemma is right around 55lbs. I am just starting the research on them. At this point I have little to no knowledge on this breed or any setters for that matter. But I learned to slow down and do your research first.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thanks, I was just wondering if my pending Griff was going to be larger than I was thinking. The male and female are both in what I would call the mid size range. Is Rye one of Phil's dogs?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes he is. His is one of the best all around dogs we have ever had. Great with people and a very good hunting dog. Gemma is coming along she is just a little softer than Rye in the field.
My wife has her mind set on either a red setter or a black and white Brittany, colors are a must for her apparently :dizzy:.
I just try to stay on the good side of the fun regulator! :lol:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
8 Shot how much smaller than a Griff are they?
Most of the field bred dogs are going to be 40-55lbs.
Males on the top end, females on the lower.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
thanks guys I hope I didnt tell my wife the Griff was going to be around 20 lbs. I'm sure I must have told her 50 to 60 lbs. :evilsmile

·
Registered
128 Posts
I second the remark about looking into Brophy's. We decided on a red setter back in late 2009 and were pleased to discover that the Brophy Kennel (Ken Ruff) was only 20 miles from where we live. We visited, got on the list, and picked up a male in July of 2010. We were looking for a hunting dog that would make a good family dog as well. We spent this last fall chasing grouse in the U.P., pheasants in Illinois, and getting used to the sound of a shotgun. Good lines, coat, musculature, very biddable and intelligent. Very satisfied at this point.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I had a red irish setter growing up and what an awesome dog. Best family dog we could have ever asked for. She was probably around 50 pounds. They are very smart dogs. She could climb a chain link fence like a person. I would love to get another one.
sslopok

1 - 15 of 15 Posts